Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wasn't originally going to reply to this post, because I know that 99% of the people on this site will disagree with me, but I don't think Ski-Doo is trying to rear-end its consumers. At least any more than any other company out there is trying to. Bottom line, my opinion is that Ski-Doo at the end of the day is a business that is trying to make a profit. While I agree that the snowmobile prices are out of control I understand why Ski-Doo wants to make a profit and doesn't lower their prices, and that is becuase people are still buying their product at the full price. Knowing nothing of sales figures or dollars, and only having a general since of business, most companies are in the market to make a profit, and if they are lowering the prices of their products, that more than likely means that they are having trouble getting rid of them. Once again, I understand what you're saying, but at the end of the day just as if you were a pizza shop owner who was more popular than the guy across the street, wouldn't you make a profit if you could?

Just my thoughts, I'm not trying to start anything.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I agree with you David, as long as Ski-Do's sales remain strong there's no need to lower prices, especially not in a bid to compete with Yamaha. Yamaha's prices are WAY out of whack.
For instance, the Nytro RTX is listing at 13,999, and the dealer here in North Bay is only offering about $500 off of that. Too Much Money for a 500+ lb, 130hp sled, I don't care how sweet the ride or the fit and finish.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
their bid to lower prices is because the " yen's value" is causing prices for them to climb to very high levels. how does this effect doo's pricing?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
We also have to keep straight where the prices are rising and where they're falling. It's inevitable that prices for imports are going to rise in the US, while Canadian prices will fall, at least relative to the American price. Currency trends aren't going to turn around any time soon.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
their bid to lower prices is because the " yen's value" is causing prices for them to climb to very high levels. how does this effect doo's pricing?[/b]
Well the dollar is down against most foreign currency, but I still think the answer is not much. Big companies have a lot of ways to hedge against currency fluctuations, and in our global economy there is a lot of importing and exporting of manufacturing supplies going on at all times, even with so-called American brands. So all the brands will feel a currency pinch to some extent.

The most accurate point here is that skidoo does not need to raise prices, they are charging a premium for what most people consider a premium product, and demand is meeting supply. That's really helpful for skidoo because those of us who are looking for "the best product, period" don't mind paying extra, and those of us (like myself) who want "best overall value" are not necessarily in the market for a brand-new sled. I agree whole heartedly this comment :

"For instance, the Nytro RTX is listing at 13,999, and the dealer here in North Bay is only offering about $500 off of that. Too Much Money for a 500+ lb, 130hp sled, I don't care how sweet the ride or the fit and finish."

Exactly. Unless you're addicted to "brand new" I can get a sled with those specs for about $2000-3500 USD. I can't vouch for the ride quality, which I think is both subjective and depends on how much it matters to you (I'm not on trails very long), not to mention tuning variations. Actually my piped RMK cost only $1850 US, but it needed seat covering (DIY) and a few little things like clutch parts and a throttle cable putting it around $2100 total. For that you get right around 500+ pounds, an SLP-claimed 139 HP with my configuration (and it feels like it), and a 151"x2" track, Fox shocks, Simmons skis, etc. Oh no but it's 8 years old...well I don't care. In fact, many of the parts are newer aftermarket upgrades by previous owners, making it an even better deal. The 15 or so days I've put on it so far were awesome and all that power really changed the way I look at snowmobiling.

I only spent about $1200 total on the Vmax (including quite a bit of work which was very educational) but I've now put about 50 awesome riding days on it with absolutely no problems, including taking it up to 10,000 feet in June 2006 without even needing to re-clutch. Then when we had to take a crazy bumpy vert hill to get out of there and I almost lost it forever down a massive ravine, I thought "well what the hell, this thing only cost me $1200". That's peace of mind right there. I do love DIY repairs and tuning though, that's why I actually prefer private party sales and auctions, the fun of seeing what I get to fix. Sounds scary to many, but when you buy a rig knowing that the parts value alone on ebay is close to (or greater than) what you spent, it's hard to go wrong. So far I'm 5 for 5 in buying nice used rigs that were as good or better than I expected for the price. And I sold the Widetrack on ebay for $1000 more than I bought it for on ebay, but a year older and with 600 extra miles on it. All my other rigs are still going strong, and I only spent $800 each on the EXT and the SKS, which are both perfect rigs for my wife in both size/weight and power.

Well, those rigs are old and bound to fall apart, you say? That's why I have four. And, including the trailer, I paid the total price of less than one new sled. I could have 2 blown cranks this year and still get through the season without me or my wife missing a day. To me, that's the best value. And thus far, after two full seasons that go October/November through mid June (about 100 total riding days under my belt) I have had zero engine problems. A stripped tie rod and a broken idler wheel happened on the same day last year, and that is the only day I've had to go home early, ever.

The tuning (and learning process) is really what got me into this sport in the first place. Others are just in it for the riding and don't want to be involved in any tuning or repairs. I get that. But I still just don't see how people can justify spending 5 times as much on a sled unless you simply have the money to burn AND want the very very best. Yeah I'd buy a new rig if I was made of money, and it would probably be an XP, but so far that's not looking too likely. I ride more days than I work during the long season. Just about everyone I know has a nicer-looking sled than me, yet I ride probably 5 to 10 TIMES more often (like their 5-10 days a year to my 50), and the main reason is I can afford to. Think of how much gas you can get with the money you saved by not buying brand-new. Yeah I've had people point and laugh at my ugly rigs, but the next day I was back riding more fresh powder and they were back at work. Is looking cool worth an extra 10 grand? I personally feel a lot cooler with the money still in my pocket. Something to think about.

At least if you get an XP nobody can claim that their old rig is just as good...the specs jump out at you and are undeniable. Doo also needs to make back their big R&D investments, which is what made them the market leader and gave them the best products. Thus, high prices from ski-doo are here to stay. Yeah I could make a theoretical case for buying another brand (for example I will not own an original rev under any circumstances due to the horrible ergonomics with taller riders...my knees and tailbone will never forget that one painful day on the 06 Summit...but the XP has now solved that so the point is moot), but in the end the doo engine and chassis are both widely considered the best and how do you argue with that? I can't. Even as much as I hated the original rev I can admit it was the best performing chassis of its time, and now it's even better. Now it's actually revolutionary. If you're ski-doo, why not raise prices if you can? If you all stop buying ski-doo I promise they will lower the prices. But that's not likely any time soon.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
point is all companies are bending over Canadians

To say Doo is the only one is false

That said those rebates on the Yammies are only $5-30 a month depend on the term you bought it with unless you bought it cash

·
Registered
361 Posts
don't we all sound like a bunch of economists in here! bunch of smart people, if i do say so myself :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts