Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i took my head off and my cylinders. when i called a dealership to order new head gaskets and base gaskets they told me that there are different thicknesses. how can this be if all i want is the stock replacement? any help with this would be appreciated. one more thing i already sent the stuff out!

:doh:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have used them all (oem) that is on my 2000 MXZ 700. You can use either the .6, .7, or .8 I believe. All will be o.k. I check my squish afterwords and it was usually between .072- .080. All of them will be safe. No problem.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'd use the .5 with the stock head. Look at your old one, 6hole=.6 etc...
most 700's were assembled with .6 or .5 gaskets. There were sand cast 99 and CA, formula 700's that use a different gasket, make sure you get the right one. Squishes in the low 70's are a good target with the stock head. You can go lower but the gain/risk of getting bad fuel isn;'t worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so hear are some more questions. what is the deal with bad fuel? what is the effect and what is considered bad fuel and why does that have so much more effect on motors with head mods. also by having less squish dont you gain more compression so wouldnt u want to go as thin as possible? which i believe is a .04 gasket. i am new too 2 strokes but i am learning. thanks for the help.

SWRules

·
Registered
720 Posts
.5 is the thinnest standard part that doo stocks. Bad fuel, well unless you can buy fuel that has just been "cracked' from the refinery the octane level is questionable and inconsistent at best. If your compression and/or squish is set to be safe at pump 91, there is a good chance you may run into fuel that is not somewhere sometime, even though the pump is labeled 91. Better to stay safe. Too much compression or too tight of squish can cause detonation. Adjusting the wide squish band of the stock head too close makes it real sensitive to fuel quality. Less squish does raise compression but compression is more a function of chamber volume. If you want more compression, rework or buy a head, don't try to get it from the base gasket.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Before someone makes a major mistake here:

Doo offers the gaskets in .5mm, .6mm, .7mm, .8mm

Now, I think MKFSTOYS said he measures his and it was .04, I would assume he measured in INCHES.

.04 INCHES = 1MM

Just want to point this out so no-one makes a big mistake due to a mis-understanding.

:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Count the holes in the gasket on the front of the engine right by the water pump.
7holes=.7, 6holes=.6, 5holes=.5 etc, etc. Thats how it was on my HO. but maybe its
different on the ZX.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts