Snowmobile World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 92 v-max 4 that has a bad head gasket leak. I was wondering if I took it to a machine shop, can they check the cylinder and head to see if they mate up even?

Last year on this same cylinder I replaced the head gasket for a leak on the inside of the cylinder causing my coolant to presurize. This year, thats ok, but its leaking from the outside of the cylinder.

Any other tips welcomened.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get a big piece of sand paper.... tape it down to a bench or desk that is perfectly level, and turn your cylinders upside down and gently move them back and forth 4 or 5 times... ad then inspect them... if they are scratched in some parts and not others... than its obviously warped... depending how bad they are, you can continue this until the surface is level... (be careful not to out more pressure on one side than the other risking making them shorter on one side than the other) the key word here is gentle. the warping has to be a fairly small amount for this to work. do this to your heads too... I am not too sure on your vmax... hopefully you dont have studs on the cylinders.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Get a big piece of sand paper.... tape it down to a bench or desk that is perfectly level, and turn your cylinders upside down and gently move them back and forth 4 or 5 times... ad then inspect them... if they are scratched in some parts and not others... than its obviously warped... depending how bad they are, you can continue this until the surface is level... (be careful not to out more pressure on one side than the other risking making them shorter on one side than the other) the key word here is gentle. the warping has to be a fairly small amount for this to work. do this to your heads too... I am not too sure on your vmax... hopefully you dont have studs on the cylinders.[/b]
Same as above but do it on a plate of glass in a figure 8 pattern.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need tips and tricks on getting a cylinder and head nice and smooth for a gasket. I think I have a rough spot on my cylinder causing my gasket to leak.

Also, can I spray the gasket with copper gasket, to help create a better seal?

thanks

what type of sand paper....grit?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most auto machien shop's can tell you if the head(or block) is warped. I have even had 1 head milled(by auto machien shop) with good resulates.

Any type of spray gasket is only going to help hold the gasket till it's bolted on.....not much good for sealing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
what type of sand paper....grit?[/b]
As long as it isn't too coarse... anywhere from a 200 to a 600... if its too fine the aluminum will just gunk it up... to coarse and you will put deep grooves in it... maybe go with a 200 first and then finish it off with an 600... also spray some stuff on the paper as well... like WD-40 or similar type of "lubricant"

best thing to use for a gasket assist is called 1104...

but you shouldn't need anything... I wouldn't reuse gaskets if I were you... just spend the money... especially now that you have a square base to start with,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts