Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is involved in putting a head & shim kit on? sled is a 97 mach1 i can get one from bill cudney. :doh:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i guess you have to remove the cylnders do i need to get a ring compressor kit I dont have one or can you do it without it. :angry: :cussing: :sly: :hallo1:

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can easilly push the ring into the grove as you slide the clyinder back down the piston,just make sure the ring is butted up against the locating dowel.Also its a good idea to pack the case around the rods with very clean rags to prevent debris from falling into the bottom end ,also a good plan to pack around the inside of the piston with clean rags to keep the pistons from rocking and posibilly damaging the skirts. The hardest part of the whole ordeal is making sure you have no air locks.Good luck if you try it yourself.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
john this may sound dumb but what do you mean about air locks
i will be trying it myself

·
Registered
333 Posts
In order to do this job you need to completelly drain the cooling system(making sure not to get any coolant into the crankcase)When you put it back together and are putting the coolant back into the motor it will never just refill with no air trapped.You generally have to elevate the front of the sled so that the expansion tank is at the highest point on the sled,then fill,run it for a few moments,shut it off and bleed the system.If you are not totally confident about doing it your self I would at least have a friend that is there.My buddy who shall remain nameless recentlly had his clyinders ported by d and d (t-cat).He filled it up and thought he had all the air locks out,long story short it cost him a partial motor on his first long run,Just be careful

·
Registered
720 Posts
tip: you can compress the rings with a zip tie. Drop the cyl on the pistons and push the ziptie down. Don't forget the cut em off the rods when your done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts