Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=33597:100_9247.JPG]Well I cant say i have the manliest sled here, Is there a way to save my pride by making my sled louder ...more annoying.. like a 17 year old with his first tweeked out civic.

I have heard talk about "gutting the can" I am assuming its like....gutting a deer. take the guts out and there you go. If i did this ...well how do i do this and will i need to rejet my 340 supersports.

Seabass

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well I cant say i have the manliest sled here, Is there a way to save my pride by making my sled louder ...more annoying.. like a 17 year old with his first tweeked out civic.

I have heard talk about "gutting the can" I am assuming its like....gutting a deer. take the guts out and there you go. If i did this ...well how do i do this and will i need to rejet my 340 supersports.
Seabass[/b]
Ok I dont mean to be rude here. But if I hear you coming a mile away and it turns out a 340 is making all that noise. I am going to be laughing at you. You are better off sounding like a regular 340 and being slow then sounding like 340 with a broken exhaust and being just as slow. Making a 340 loud will not make your sled "manlier" it will make it a joke.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ya don't gut a can, ya install one :D. Dad's 340 isn't a racing machine by any means, but it didn't even have a silencer, just enough muffler to create the necessary back-pressure. Not sure you can make a 340 sound racey by adding a can, but I've seen a lot of people who think it's possible with a 4 cylinder car (note: they're usually wrong. Point proven when I take my v8 with straight pipes and rev next to them, and they can no longer hear their own car. It also shakes all the glass in our house when I have it running in the driveway... so far no complaints from the neighbors.) As for the performance boost by adding a can to a snowmobile, you create more noise than you do hp (at least it seems that way). I hate it when someone thinks they're cool 'cause they have a can, and give it a burst of gas as they drive by and here you are with your helmet off 'cause ur taking a break. Way to go @$$hole, ya just proved that thing CAN cause hearing damage, lol. Everyone knows it's totally cool to go deaf (NOT!).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow..thanks for the help... Well I dont ride trails. so i wont close any of your trails , i promise. The 200 acres of open farmland and the river where my marina is located are the only places i ride.

I heard about this site through a buddy and he said its a godsend to all snowmobilers. He said everyone is willing to give you a hand. My second post and i am already getting torn up. My question is simple. I want to know if i have to rejet after gutting the can.Last year i owned a 750 storm but my oil line got pinched and was not sending to the cyl's. Caught that problem too late. I got a deal on this sled who is getting divorced and he wanted 250.00 for it. It looks decent with the extra 12's installed and the new paintjob. And by the way thanks to the folks who helped me with my first post. I had all the suspension changed in 2 hours.

So if you can help me please do.

TrailCloser

·
1,327 Posts
when you make a post like a 17y/o with his first civic, don't be too upset when you get scolded like one.

While you may not be riding on trails, the people who hear the sled and get annoyed by it won't know that.

They'll just group you into that "SNOWMOBILER!" group

We're all the same to people you don't know any different.

Just something to think about.

now, gutting your can is going to significantly reduce the already limited power of your ol' 340

you'd be better off glueing a megaphone under your hood and using that to make it louder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a non-expert, but widely read snowmobiling and snowmobile world fan I can offer this piece of advice. Find yourself a good new or used stock exhaust and keep things simple. One thing I have learned from reading so many posts on this site is this. Stock= good Mods=OK but tricky and unpredictable. ... for what its worth... Please don't be too offended by the slams on loud snowmobiles -- they're speaking from experience -- these are good guys on here who are passionate about the sport and its preservation for everyone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
we are giving you good advice. you cant count the hours our club volunteers to get trails for people. even if you have your own 200 acres to tear up your still a snowmobiler and were all grouped together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Advice has been taken. I have been looking at members ride and buy the looks of your sleds i might as well paint mine bright pink. I am looking for a new sled so if anybody has something for sale in the ottawa area that is not loud and annoying and that is bigger then 440 send me a message. Until then i will lay low.

seabass

·
Registered
593 Posts
What happened to the storm? There are lots of parts/motors out there. especially on ebay. Why dont you resurrect that sled if it was only the motor gone from a pinched oil line.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Advice has been taken. I have been looking at members ride and buy the looks of your sleds i might as well paint mine bright pink. I am looking for a new sled so if anybody has something for sale in the ottawa area that is not loud and annoying and that is bigger then 440 send me a message. Until then i will lay low.
seabass[/b]
Ah... you sound like a scolded puppy :(. I really didn't mean to sound so bad, I was responding by impulse and wasn't thinking ahead of time. Can ya forgive me? :unsure:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I forgive you.......well.......hmmmm......of course. It wasnt my intentions to " stir the pot". One thing I have learned is how much you guys/girls care for the well being and future of snowmobiling. Props to you guys. Mayby if i get a trail worthy sled i will join you on a group tear. Yesterday i went down the road to the polaris dealer and test drove a few sleds. I liked the iq 440 but man was it cold. You have nothing to block the wind. It was sweet on the straights but soon as i was in the corners i found it steered awkwardly. Mayby factory presets where off or something. The wife has given me permission for one new toy next year so mayby i will grab it at the spring sale.. who knows.

seabass

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Can I forgive you.......well.......hmmmm......of course. It wasnt my intentions to " stir the pot". One thing I have learned is how much you guys/girls care for the well being and future of snowmobiling. Props to you guys. Mayby if i get a trail worthy sled i will join you on a group tear. Yesterday i went down the road to the polaris dealer and test drove a few sleds. I liked the iq 440 but man was it cold. You have nothing to block the wind. It was sweet on the straights but soon as i was in the corners i found it steered awkwardly. Mayby factory presets where off or something. The wife has given me permission for one new toy next year so mayby i will grab it at the spring sale.. who knows.
seabass[/b]
We do care very much for this sport....and with your current way of thinking, I'd ride with you.... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I hate to stir the pot that has been brought down to a simmer from a boil but I have to share. I recently got J&T "can" for my 03 REV 800. I love the way it sounds but its a bit loud. I most likely will keep it and use it when I'm going on trips or areas where there are a lot of sleds. Where I am there are lots of people that don't want to hear us. I can understand that. A lot of our trails here in southwest Michigan go through peoples back or front yards. I had to stop and think...What if I didn't snowmobile? What if I liked peace and quiet? What if every time I sat down to watch tv or read or something someone on a loud sled went flying by my house and shook the windows. I would be pissed too. So I say if you have something that you think my offend people take it off or at least try to stay out of the throttle when going by houses. Lets do what we can to keep our trails alive.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
all you got was noise. if you want attention wear pink. at the SAC committee meeting noise was braught up, yet again, for causing trail closure. im glad that you do exercise some discretion though.

·
Tragically Hip-OSA
5,007 Posts
Seabass, welcome to the site! As you can see, we're a little touchy about loud pipes, but glad you understood where we're coming from. Please feel free to ask any questions you want (as long as they're appropriate...lol) and please don't feel like you have to "lay low".

JT

1 - 19 of 19 Posts