Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They had a sneak preview today for the RX-1 at the Mer-Maid in Mounds View, MN this evening.  I was very impressed, to say the least.  Here are my observations:

Sound- Incredible, quiet superbike rumble.

The RX-1 has a very low engagement speed, ~2500 RPM.

Weight- Yamaha won't really won't tell you but the factory engineers said that their target was 5% of the SRX.  One other interesting thing at the sneak peak I saw was a sticker one the RX-1 models that said "Prototype front bumper, please don't lift or bounce"  Why?  Looked indentical to the Viper bumper.  Maybe they did not want the attendees to try to lift the front.  One of the factory engineers said,"The amount of weight is not as important as cneter of gravity", thats fair.

Spin oil filter!

Oil change interval 3000 miles.

Lifter adjustment 26,000 miles!

They tested the RX-1 in Alaska to -30F and it started!

Dry sump- no oil to slow down cold starting RPM

No storage compartment.. bummer

Plenty of sophisticated die cast parts and mfg methods.

Overall I liked what I saw and I am pleased with the direction Yamaha is taking!

Maxwell

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engineer that I spoke with did not say.. So I don't know..

sorrry,
Maxwell

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sharkey @ Feb. 01 2002, 11:18pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">At -30 degrees F did they need ether to start it?
[/b][/quote]
Why should they need ether?  A well maintained and tuned engine should have absolutely no problem starting at those temps.  Keep the oil clean (I'd use synthetic myself due to the extreme environment), keep the coolant fresh, keep the battery to full charge during storage (I'd replace it every two or three years as a maintenance interval), as well as keep the fuel properly dosed with stabil during storage.  A tsp of oil in the cylinders during summer storage would keep the cylinders from gunking up and sticking.  Set aside the starting fears, and be more watchful for early production bugs.  Methinks Yammi has a good thing going here.  

·
Registered
311 Posts
The production sleds will have a storage compartment in the nose.  They are also trying to get the weight within 3% of the SRX in time for production.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
sounds good, but i think they could have saved some money and put the sled in a deep freeze instead of going to alaska for the big chill. LOL  
   you know like when john candy was winter training the jamaicans.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
jetrep,
 where does your family keep the bacon ? see just toss out the bacon and put the rx-1 in there.  

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was up In Houghton Mi. this past weekend and the factory was testing the RX-1 over in Greenland and had a chance to see it take some whoops at speed. It took them very good. We did not know what it was at first but noticed that all the other sleds were bouncing and darting all over the place and it looked smooth a silk. Then we saw it up close on its side never got to see the motor. It looks to have a large aluminum casting where the front a arms attach looks great as long as you don't hit something big. We tried to talk to the Tech working on it but he was straight from Japan and didn't have a clue what we were asking. The rear suspension looked very good as well.

Looks like Yamaha has a good thing going.
  Jemms

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yamaha should come with a wheel kit for summer also for 8500.00 U.S. Could you imagine making it road legal, that would be fun. I'm sure some owner will convert it at least for straight line running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yamaha did such a wonderful job redesigning the chassis, front suspension, and engine.  Then they leave the ancient technology pro-action rear in it.  I have 2 Doo's and 2 Yamaha's.  The biggest disadvantage the Yami's have to the Doo's is the rear suspension.  No matter what adjustments I do, and I have done everything, I can not get the Yami's to handle, or ride nearly as good as the Doo's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
[One of the factory engineers said,"The amount of weight is not as important as cneter of gravity]

Tell me this as i'm trying to get it unstuck. To me weight is a big part of things.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
How come yamaha droped the hp on the mountain RX-1 to 145.  Or did they drop both mountain and sport.  

Got the info on there website.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just like why did Cat drop F-7 to 138 instead of 140. I will bet they both do not put out even that much.  They are turning the 4 banger alot slower than bike you know. Cat has said their racing 440 is more powerful every year, Polaris too. If you added up all they claim they would be 120 horse, not 99 like they stated this year. You have to take every thing you hear and lessen it 5% so you do not expect too much and are pissed off all year.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes they do make a freezer big enough to test a sled I was in a ice cream warehouse  today

they only keep it at -28 in that one.   They drive a forklift in that freezer  you ought to see that sucker ice up when they drive it out into my truck.   I agree why go to alaska  there are big freezers all over the country   Oh yes  at reefer trailer that hauls the ice cream is also big enough and they have wheels on them so they can move the freezer to japan if they want to.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
alindazip,
 see that you have it all figured out without sending the new rx-1 to the great white north, they can just buzz around in the back of your truck.

ps. how do you say your handle there ? what does it mean ? thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The RX-1 and the Mountain RX-1 was the snowmobile of the years its a revelation and have a rumors to yamaha kick ass with a 220 hp in 2004      .....
yamaha rules for 4-strokes......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seen this sled about a week ago looked very good and sounded even betteryamaha done a good job. The egineerstold us their would be a storage compartment when the production sleds come out. they also said they got 118 to 120 mph out ofit on some us. trackheard it was 12'300 canadain

·
Registered
193 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (paul yarek @ Feb. 14, 2002, 10:37pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">mtn rx-1

okay, sure ?  

[/b][/quote]
It's going to be a serious machine!!! Considering it has 45% more torque than any 800 twin out there!!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts