Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there would be any benefits to be had from wraping the stock pipe on my 99 MX6. I ride the flatlands and still have the stock heat shield. However, having read through old magazine articles about the effect of pipe heat and seeing ceramic pipe coating advertisings, I was wondering if it would be worth it to wrap the whole pipe with some sort of asbestos cloth (from the y-pipe on). From what I have read it would seem that keeping the pipe hot (hotter) would help move the exhaust gases out more quickly, thus enhancing the scavenging effect and yielding a slight increase in performance. What could I expect in terms of results? Would it raise my powerpeak rpm? Anyone have any experience with this? thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a 99 600 and ran it with all the vents closed on the R/H side of the cowl. This allowed the pipe to run hotter and I noticed a fair performance gain , especialy in throttle response. I also had a temp gauge on this sled and it never climbed over half with this set up. Apart from this I also had the cut head and shim kit as well as a clutch set up and bot were worth the money.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Rosco. I too generally run with most vents closed. although I do not have a cut head I do run VForce reeds, UFOs, a Tempaflow and a few other tricks that have improved the performance as well.

On a related topic, would wrappnig the pipe increase the possibility of detonation or any other ill effects?

·
Registered
9 Posts
wrapping the pipe will increase hp. roughly 5 to 10%. what it does is create a scavaging effect by keeping the pipe hot until it reaches the tailpipe, then an extreme cooling effect takes place creating vacuum (usually 0.75 to 1.5 inches). this vacuum draws in more air/fuel into the engine creating more power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts