Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you run with them on/off? Does running with them on(heaters), on warmer days really hurt gas millage? Just looking for some different opinions. The dealer and the onwers manual say run them on below +5, this seems awful warm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dealer told me to turn them on when your riding alot in powder conditions, otherwise leave them off.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My Owners Manual says to run them turned on in temps below 41 degrees F/ 5 degrees C.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I read (REV) to turn them on at -5 C. However, dealer told me -20C or in any significant snow dust/spray situation and to still use ISO in the fuel regardless.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I always leave mine off and have never had a problem. :devil:

·
Registered
215 Posts
On my 02' MXZ-800 I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't re-start after a quick pit stop. I found that the carb heat was boiling out the fuel and flooding the dang thing. Keep em off in normal riding conditions. If the temps dip below 0 f. turn em on.

My 2 cent's

Trapper

·
Registered
39 Posts
I run a 700 and have noticed no significant difference in fuel economy either way. If it is below freezing with or without wind chill, very dusty conditions or both I always run them on. If it warms up during the time your riding its easy to turn off. With the new flatslide carbs being more prone to freezing up than the roundslides why take a chance. I have noticed that the 800's seem to have more of a problem with the gas heating/evaporation issue issue though.
On another side note, if it is very, very cold(well below 0 F) and/or very dusty you will also want to close the majority of your hood vents as well as keep your heated carbs on all the time. On the 700's we close all but the little one in the lower front on clutch side and on the 800's all but that one and the same one on the exhaust side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts