Snowmobile World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, after a very LONG summer, I ahve decided to check in on you guys/gals..
as some of you may know my hubby broke his back last season, he is recovering nicely.. and is having second thoughts about selling our sleds..( although he is a little worried about the kids, we have already sold their sleds..)
but they are teenagers and don't really spend much time with us anymore, so I told him if they are too upset, we could look at newer sleds for us and give them our older ones.. :D

He is still thinking about the whole issue...we love this sport sooo much, hopefully he will decide to at least try.. we could trail ride this season and see how it goes..

Anyway, we went bird hunting yesterday and walked through the first snowfall of the year..
so I thought I would check in on ya"ll

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Good to see you skidoo-girl :thumbsup: and it's especially great to hear your husband is recovering well.

Snow4

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hi and welcome back !!!, you may want to have your husband speak with the orthopedic surgeon who worked on him to give you the specs on the spinal damage then look at one of these http://www.plattners.com/sbrace2.shtml depending on the extent of the injury it may help the transition back to sledding more pleasurable. If no spinal brace is require (great !) seek some body armour (Tech Vest) for both of you. Use the sled budget to get your husband a more upright design sled and the trails will be a welcome uninhibiting sight once again.

Take care,

T.D.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hey everyone, after a very LONG summer, I ahve decided to check in on you guys/gals..
as some of you may know my hubby broke his back last season, he is recovering nicely.. and is having second thoughts about selling our sleds..( although he is a little worried about the kids, we have already sold their sleds..)
but they are teenagers and don't really spend much time with us anymore, so I told him if they are too upset, we could look at newer sleds for us and give them our older ones.. :D

He is still thinking about the whole issue...we love this sport sooo much, hopefully he will decide to at least try.. we could trail ride this season and see how it goes..

Anyway, we went bird hunting yesterday and walked through the first snowfall of the year..
so I thought I would check in on ya"ll[/b]
WHAT.. no pic's of the SNOW!!! hmmm we just might have to ban you ! :whistling: . LOL j/k glad to hear the hubby recovering well. I myself suffered from a ruptured disc 4 years ago and had surgery 4 mounths before Christmas. Snow4 and I were married on our sleds 4 days after Christmas even after the doc said my riding days were done .
Like doc said try a rider forward sled it sure helped me . Glad to see ya's back , keep in touch and send us some snowy pics!!!

mutt

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Glad to see you back on here. :thumbsup: Thats good news about your hubby. I hope he does get to ride. When you can, post some pics. of the snow that your bragging about. We all would love to see them. w00t

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi and welcome back !!!, you may want to have your husband speak with the orthopedic surgeon who worked on him to give you the specs on the spinal damage then look at one of these http://www.plattners.com/sbrace2.shtml depending on the extent of the injury it may help the transition back to sledding more pleasurable. If no spinal brace is require (great !) seek some body armour (Tech Vest) for both of you. Use the sled budget to get your husband a more upright design sled and the trails will be a welcome inhibiting sight once again.

Take care,

T.D.[/b]
Luckily so far, surgery isn't going to be needed.. his back is fusing together very quickly by itself and he is actually not having as much pain anymore..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only a slight trace of snow here, not even an inch... but it sure got our hearts and minds racing,
thanks for the welcome back.. glad to hear from you all... :cool:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Welcome back to our Cody Wy. residents.
Glad to hear he's healing well.
WOW, no surgery. Must have been a long painful summer.

A agree with the recommendations made especially with our site's own doctor.
There's another reason this site is the best of them all. None of the other sites have their own resident doctor. LOL

If you can swing it, go the rider forward route.
That way you may get those teens wanting to hang with Mom & Dad again.
Trust me, you won't regret that decision.
Also remember that your entire family loved the extreme type of riding you did but you can still love snowmobiling by riding in a slightly less risky environment. After all, it's about being with friends and family enjoying what Mother Nature has to offer.

As far as the understandable concerns about a re-occurance goes.
As I said in the spring, I can live my life as safely as possible and avoid any threats of danger.
I can take it to extremes and stay in my bed and never leave only to have the ceiling collapse on me. If I never live my life, how can I worry about loosing it. I don't mean go through life with reckless abandonment being stupid. But you still need to do things that fulfill your life and make you feel it's worth living. Up until your Hubbies tragic accident, I always thought your family did just that. Again though, what you choose to do, is a decision that only he and you can make.
We can all guess what we'd do in a similar situation, but until we're actually faced with having to make that decision for ourselves, we can only guess what we'd really do.

Here's wishing you and your family a safe winter.
Whatever you choose to do.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
1st welcome back.

2nd. I don't know if you know this but I am a T-10 complete paraplegic and I ride my REV like I stole it.

3rd. I wouldn't be caught dead without my brace. I have one very similar to the one thumb posted that was given to me when I had my surgery. It is awesome. I have had many times when I thought the wind was gonna get knocked out of me and didn't because of that brace. To be completely honest I think I would rather wear that than a "tek vest". Chicky has one and I have played with the idea of getting one. Then I compared the two. Well, there wasn't much comparison. I like my brace much better. I think its much more rigid. Don't really have much room to twist but it sure keeps you inline and upright.

Good luck with which ever decision you make. Me personally, if the kids aren't interested anymore then go without them or show them the rider forward design and let them make the choice. I never thought snowmobiling could be so enjoyable until I got on my REV. I'm sure the other companies that have gone to the similar design are just as nice.

Anyway, I'm glad to see your back and I hope your hubby is well enough for when the snow flies!!!!!

Roller

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1st welcome back.

2nd. I don't know if you know this but I am a T-10 complete paraplegic and I ride my REV like I stole it.

3rd. I wouldn't be caught dead without my brace. I have one very similar to the one thumb posted that was given to me when I had my surgery. It is awesome. I have had many times when I thought the wind was gonna get knocked out of me and didn't because of that brace. To be completely honest I think I would rather wear that than a "tek vest". Chicky has one and I have played with the idea of getting one. Then I compared the two. Well, there wasn't much comparison. I like my brace much better. I think its much more rigid. Don't really have much room to twist but it sure keeps you inline and upright.

Good luck with which ever decision you make. Me personally, if the kids aren't interested anymore then go without them or show them the rider forward design and let them make the choice. I never thought snowmobiling could be so enjoyable until I got on my REV. I'm sure the other companies that have gone to the similar design are just as nice.

Anyway, I'm glad to see your back and I hope your hubby is well enough for when the snow flies!!!!!

Roller[/b]
Wow, Roller, i did not know that about you..Thanks for that info.. I will tell my hubby.. and I don't think he will need a brace..but we have looked a tek vests..
He isn't afraid to ride, he just knows that trail riding will be difficult because we love the "extreme" stuff.. but I have almost convinced him that we can take it easy this year and maybe next year ride a little harder..

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Glad to see you hung in there with the sleds. So would just like to offer this - take it for what it's worth. I have a pretty good idea of what he's going through. Just get him out there. Thinking he'll run his own game from there as his confidence builds.....

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
1st welcome back.

Roller[/b]
Fred, don't you think "riding it like you stole it" is an understatement? LOL....Everyone one that I ride with including myself, ride with a tek vest. Good insurance. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
How many birds did you get? Do you use a dog? Our season doesn't start for a couple weeks.

so I thought I would check in on ya"ll[/b]

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many birds did you get? Do you use a dog? Our season doesn't start for a couple weeks.[/b]
No birds, didn't even see any..but thats hunting.. we have 3 dogs..one is to old to hunt very long, one is an excellent hunter (as long as you don't fire the gun, then she runs back to the truck..) and the 180lb lab/rott. mix is awesome, he will hunt, and retrieve all day..
but we didn't take any of them this time.. we were kinda also scouting for Elk, Deer and Bears..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts