Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey first post at snowmobile world and more specifically polaris forums!!! :D anyways i am here because i just bought myself my first sled!!!! it is a 1991 Polaris Indy 500 liquid cooled dual carbed w/ longish track :p its wut i could afford i am a grade 11 student in Canada. i worked all summer for this baby! i payed 1300 CAD for it and am going to pick it up soon.... anyways i had just a few questions!

where can i purchase OEM and performance parts for my sled? not thinking of necessarily upgrading yet but a clutch kit and some updated suspension parts might be nice... see how i feel in the spring i guess.

other than that the other sleds i ride/co-own are

1989 Arctic Cat Cougar 500 Short track w/ dual carbs fan cooled. fun machine, but my dad's :p

1992 Skidoo skandic 2 377 dual carbed w/ long track and fan cooled. its a rust bucket. the engine is amazing but the carbs need to be tweaked. we have been slowly rebuilding it, got it last season from dad's work for free and share ownership between me dad and uncle. the frontend was completely frozen but now its good we want to rebuild it but have not the time :p good familly machine tho although its heavier than stink.

and thats my snowmobiling life! i am not really a purist towards any one brand of machine just whatever works and you can afford. i would say my dream machine would either be a arctic cat jaguar z1, polaris switchback 700 dragon or at the top of my list a sidoo mxz renegade 600 h.o. sdi. other than that been snowmobiling only a couple years but plan on doing it for as long as possible :p hope to be active in these forums! thanks guys!!!!

Grama

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I dont know of anyone making a clutch kit for the sled, especially a long track. You may want to check around on this forum and some others and see if you can get some reccomendations for what has worked. Id say just make sure the current clutches are clean and in good working order. For updated suspension parts, you could try new shocks and such if the current ones are worn out. A popular mod is to put the Xtra 10 suspension in the front and rear. This has been discussed on here several times. Try searching it or looking back.

As for new OEM parts, check your local dealer. Aftermarket: Im on the US side but I think most Canadians use Royal Distributing.

Good luck and Congradulations!! The Indy 500 motor is a great motor, good choice!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will get pics of me and sled as quickly as possible!!!! i am going to pick it up tonight.... damn i wish their was snow nearby in september (i live in the kelowna area, greystokes and more likely for me to go to idabel lake and such are still no goes :() and i wish i wasn't a honors everything student (well i am in mechanics :D) anyways cannot wait and thanks for the warm welcome!!!! i will check out royal distributing..... the only other thing i might do is replace the muffler with a lighter, more performance orientated one (i know that they add a lot of power but i like light machines :p) and yah!!!! thanks again guys!

Grama

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
the only other thing i might do is replace the muffler with a lighter, more performance orientated one (i know that they add a lot of power but i like light machines :p) and yah!!!! thanks again guys!

Grama[/b]
They dont add that much power, some of them can actually take away power. Plus, I am not sure how much stuff you are going to find avaliable for your sled being that its a little older now. You go adding pipes and such, make sure you check your jetting out or you will be burning that motor down. Just an FYI!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am getting the feeling that i am really gonna appreciate the $0.02 that you guys will bring to the table... just picked it up and got to drive it for the first time! handles well and very snappy.... especially since it was on grass :p anyways photos will be up tomorrow night... i am still learning this stuff and you guys are being real friendly about it so i think i am at the right place :D anyways post pics soon

Grama

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upon even further inspection of my sled, i noticed that it was a indy 500 sks.... i am assuming the sks was the crossover model at the time (1991) am i right? if so, how should i go about finding parts (specifically in the royal distributing catalogue, only a very few parts are actually available for my sled apreantly (and i mean like parts that are OEM and are common like CDI's and stuff like that) nay suggestions?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Anything motor wise, I would think that you should be able to get anything from a regular Indy 500 of the same year. Whats going to be different is the clutch compnents like the springs, helix, & weights. The gears also will probably be different. The rear suspension stuff is going to be different also.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Welcome to the site young fella and congrats on the sled purchase!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts