Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 72 years old, and haven't had a sled in over 40 years. A few years ago, I bought a pair of 1977 Polaris TX340's at an auction. They had been mistreated by the previous owner and needed a lot of TLC. This winter, I brought one into my shop and started to restore it. Right now, it still has the track in it, but that's about it. The engine had a mouse living in it, so I took it apart and am in the process of rebuilding it. I figure that everything that I do to this sled, I will have to do to its twin, so, when I order a part, I order two. By this time next year, I plan to have both sleds running, so that my kids and grand kids can use them. Oh yeah, I worked at a Polaris dealership from 1971 to 1976, so I kind of know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's awesome! Glad to see that you're back into the sport, or at least wrenching on them so your kids and grandkids can enjoy them. It's been 20 years for me since I've owned a snowmobile, but ive been itching to get one for the last few years. I finally talked my wife into buying 2 of them this last spring. I found a pretty decent deal. A 1998 polaris xlt classic and a 2002 polaris indy 500, with a 2000 triton drive on/drive off covered 2 place trailer. I had the xlt classic in the garage working on it most of the summer because of how corroded rusted everything was, so I wanted to make it safe again. I have a 10 year old daughter and 7 year old son that me and my wife took out a few times this year and all 4 of us loved it. My 10 year old daughter kind of lost interest tho because she has to ride sitting behind my wife so she cant see anything, but I'm planning on teaching her how to drive one next year. My 7 year old rides in front of me and he loves it. He wont ride with him mom because she "goes too slow" lol. Anyway, welcome to the forum. Not trying to throw shade on this forum but I've noticed that hardly anyone responds on here, they mostly just look at posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome John Hutterer 🔧
I like the old TXs as well. I had a 74' TX340 as a kid, i can relate. I'm looking for a 74-80 model. I want a TX again. I found a 74' 340 for $4000 a few years ago, still in the crate ! There were pictures and a reason given. Seemed too good to be true. .. Anyway, i'll keep an eye out for TX stuff u may need.
95cougar5502.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to JBaker and Noblepuker for your responses! I guess that I would have to agree that there isn't much communication between members on this site. Glad to hear, JBaker, that you found a pair of sleds, and are making use of them. We didn't have sleds when our kids were small, so I'll have to wait ans see how they take to them, once I have them restored. I want to try to make some use of them, myself, when the time arrives.
That is an interesting story Noblepuker. If you found a crate 74' 340 a few years ago, it must have been at least 40 years old, at that time. I guess that I would have been concerned about trying to run an engine that had not had any fuel/oil mix run through it in that amount of time. I'd like to hear the story, sometime. Thanks for offering to keep an eye out for parts for me. So far, I've been able to find most of what I need from on-line dealers. My biggest issues have been with the hood and belly pan. As I mentioned, the previous owners seemed to enjoy running into things. Now that the weather is warming up, I can start on some fiberglass work outdoors. Also, I need to sandblast the skis and some other large components, again, outdoors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts