Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am in the market for a helmet. i am not looking for anything super fancy (keep in mind i am a grade 11 student not making great money here :p) i was thinking either a gmax helmet or a afx helmet. i dont want logo's (polaris or skidoo or arctic cat blah blah blah) on it if i can avoid it. any suggestions? doesn't have to be a brand name i named but in that kind of price range. the ones i am considering are:

afx97
gm14x
gm44x
ZOX Nevado

anything better within the same price range? at any rate another good question i suppose is a large from company X the same as a large from company Z or does every company have its own size scale? thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
361 Posts
try the zeucs i think i spelled it right i just got one for $100 new or you can try ebay for a nice used one and not all size L are the same but all are about the same

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You can check out www.royaldistributing.com for good deals.
It would also be in Canadian $$$ with no cross border issues for you.
(Assuming you're in Kelowna B.C.)

Page 63 shows their sizing chart which includes all brands they sell including Zues.
You'll just need someone to help you measure your head.
The helmets start on page 41 so be patient.
There's over 20 pages of variety and price$ there.

Speaking of experience, save yourself some cash now and buy an electric face shield now as you'll pay twice as much to upgrade later and most likely you will.

If you ride mostly mountains, you'll want an open face snow cross style with a really good pair of goggles. Then also buy a No-Fog mask for those really cold days or nights.

I'm curious, since you're in grade 11, why did you choose Grama as your name on here?

Jeff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have been reading thru the helmets on roaldistributing.com thanks for the suggestion... i need a manual anyways haha and my dad needs a bumper for his machine. i think your probobly right with the electric sheild thing i will look into that and consider it...

Grama is my nickname for just about everything I do online, not many people use it and my name is Graeme so it works :p

thanks again!

Grama

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
quality for the money z1r , hjc are 2 of the better performers ,as far as safety goes they were the 2 on top in the long list of helmets tested.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I have had 2 hjc in the last 10 years,,not only value for the money but safety to your melon. How much is your head worth to you? Hard to be continuing your studies with a squashed melon. Both HJC's came with the heated visor (Im a heavy breather) and I believe that I paid the same price for both helmets (179.00+ the govt's share) and there was 6 years between the purchases. I rolled my sled and smacked my head on a tree so I bought a new helmet, there was only the tiniest of marks on the helmet but better safe then sorry, didnt want my kids to end up feeding me for the rest of my life :) I took a look at the Zeus helmets at the show and IMHO they seemed weak, mind you I looked at the model with the lifting face on it. I wouldnt buy one of those.....
BTW welcome to the club Graeme. :)

LK

·
Registered
476 Posts
HJC and Choko Designs been berry, berry good for me. :rolleyes: DOT and Snell is highly reccomended if you can swing it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm on my 2nd HJC full face helmet & have 1 of their moto x helmets. I haven't had any issues w/ them. Boight all 3 from Royal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i think that just about clears up that lol i really appreciate your imput guys this is what makes the snowmobiling community so great IMHO. i guess hjc it is... i'll let you know which one i get :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but are the prices Canadian? not that matters much right now i guess... maybe i would end up saving enough by buying a helmet from an American site to compensate for all the other shipping and border crossing costs

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Grama, things we have bought from the states, for their cheaper price, end up costing us way more then if we bought here,the only way we have found around it is asking the sender to mark the item as a gift or sample to avoid the exorbant duties that are put on them upon entering Canada.
LK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts