Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting some communicators. Usually I'm riding within a hundred yards or so with the wife or my son. I not looking to talk across a mile or so and The older type 49's look like the best bet. How good do they work or should I go with the 900 series?
Thanks
Rubber side down
Brad

·
Registered
51 Posts
Several of my snowmobile buddies and I had the Communicator 900's and found that most times we were out of range and could not communicate with one another. We did some testing and found that even on a lake with no obstructions and the sleds turned off, that we could not communicate more than 500 yards. We have now switched to the GMRS-X1's from HJC (not available in Canada) and although we have not had a chance to use them on the trails we have been able to communicate over 2 miles (this was through trees and building walls).

Although we were very disappointed with the range of the Communicator 900's, I do think that they are better than nothing and that being able to contact a fellow rider is a valuable safety tool.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have the 900's and like them. I have heard the 49's do not have much range. We went in the woods last year and our boys got out ahead of us by 1/4 mile or so and we could still talk back and forth. If you are going faster the wind noise does offset your speakers, but you can still hear each other. Sometimes you may have to repeat what you said to one another. The key is to keep the microphone very close to your mouth, almost touching your lips.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Brad, get the 900's...buddy and I used them last year, and they're the best thing since independent suspension. We had no, NO, problems w/ours last year. If you get them, take the time to follow the directions and tune them in. We had ours in w/in the first 5 minutes. It feels funny to leave the mic on your lips, but that is the key. The value they add is immeasur-able. It's nice to know what's coming ahead when you're not leading, and being able to tell the guy behind you to shut it down ahead of time. We just received 6 more for the rest of our group. They have really dropped in price since a newer model has come out. You will not regret getting these.
Go to their website and check out their specials.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whatever you do not get Chatterbox from HJC. Were crappy, and hard to get the batteries (order from Dennis Kirk last year and never seen them). I believe the newer ones from Colette are much better.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
We have Chatterboxes.
Not the greatest as far as range and voice clarity, but they are an excellent safety feature for the money.

Usually we have to repeat anything that has alot of detail, but for "sled coming" warnings or "good jump there", or "I gotta have a leak" they can't be beat.

FishHog

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if you can communicate from the HJC chatterbox to the Collet communicators??? Couple people in our group got the chatterboxes last year so I was going to get some this year, but i do think the Collet 900's are better from what i have heard...

·
1,327 Posts
I am 99% sure this is not possible, they run on different frequencies.

The collette uses the 900mhz band, similar to a portable telephone and the Chatterbox uses the Family radio service or FRS.

I could be wrong though.

DP

·
Registered
6 Posts
I appreciate everyone who has posted, I have been seriously considering the communicators. However, I use a modulare helmet and some people have told me because of that the communicators dont fit or work properly? True or False

·
1,327 Posts
There is a way to get the boom mic to work with the mod helmet.

PM me and I can send you the link.

It involves cutting a small hole in the breath deflector I believe.

Anyone else use one with a mod helmet??

I use a snowcross helmet so I'm not sure.

DP

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
snowqueen..I do believe that the newest collet is setup for the modular helmet , but it does need a small hole cut for the mouth piece..............................................
THANKS EVERBODY
Brad
Rubber Side Down

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wife and I use the Collet communicators, we won't leave home without them. Purchased additional batteries for each. Charge all batts. befor we leave home, 2-sets each communicator will last 3 days.

The units clip on with a medium size binder clip. If you can attach a binder clip to your helmet your in business. I'd think you can.

Call Collet they will tell you!

·
Registered
393 Posts
they will fit on a modular helmet. but after buying ours last year i thought it was a big waste of money :angry: tons of interferance and lots of helmet noise. my wife hated them too. i couldnt sell them fast enough. but thats only my opinion :hallo2:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i noticed that robert lyons uses them and i emailed him to ask what make he uses, i forget what ones he uses but if you contacted him he is great with description and how to's and don't do's.

the last two seasons he has logged 20,000 miles so i'd say he is the expert. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Mike, that's too bad. Did you check your spark plugs and cables? Have to make sure you're not causing any interference in that area.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I bought 2 Colletts last year and my friend bought another, we got the 900's. It does take some adjusting but they work well. I use mine on a moduler helmet and my friend uses his on a snow-cross. If he runs about 60mph, his reproduces some wind noise but I can still hear him. Another bonus is I use a mp3 player and it plugs right in, It's nice to have some tunes while riding. From what i have heard the HJC's turn off by the volume switch (you always have to readjust. The collets turn off when the battery pack is un plugged so all your settings stay put. It is so valuable to me, I never go w/out them!

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
If you ride pipes or open helmet, get the HJC's. The Collets do not have a push to talk feature as the HJC's do. I was going to buy the Collett's until I found this out. I don't care for using the VOX feature. The new 900's from HJC also have many more channels to use. I'm replacing my old 2 channel HJC's with the new 5 mi 900's. I have 2 of the older ones if anyone is interested. email me if you are. [email protected]

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I had the Communicator I also had the SkiDoo Modular Helmet and the boom through a hole in the breath mask worked fine. My problem was the limited range of the unit, especially when not on an open area such as a lake. Even on a lake we would not get anywhere near the published range of 2 miles. The best we could do was 500 yards, with the machines off so you got no interference from the engine.

Also, although initially the VOX sounds great it quickly becomes a pain where any sound (wind noise, cough, screams of joy, etc.) gets broadcast. I am looking forward to using the PTT on the GMRS/X1 and only broadcasting when I want to.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Actually, I get a good laugh out of the screams of joy/fear my riding buds have sometimes.

FishHog

1 - 20 of 22 Posts