Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I also wear glasses, I got an HJC motocross type helmet with the cold weather insert and Scott goggles. Very rarely do they fog up, only when working under the hood for a while. I also found an anti fog spray that works well, it's called Viz Whiz, I think it's actualy made for rifle scopes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also wear glasses, I got an HJC motocross type helmet with the cold weather insert and Scott goggles. Very rarely do they fog up, only when working under the hood for a while. I also found an anti fog spray that works well, it's called Viz Whiz, I think it's actualy made for rifle scopes.[/b]

are the motocross helmet,s as warm as the closed one,s

·
Registered
281 Posts
are the motocross helmet,s as warm as the closed one,s[/b]

I can't give you a good comparison between a motocross and a good full face helmet, the full face helmets I've used were old and cold. The biggest thing with the motocross helmet is making sure the breath box and goggles seal up with eachother, if not you'll have cold spots exposed to the wind. Maybe check out those modular helmets, a guy I know swears by them. Little pricey though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you don't want the sno-x helmet setup, then go with the Ski-Doo Modular helmets...they work pretty well. I have glasses and have used one for the past five years while riding. Just last year I went to a sno-x helmet and goggles, but I use that mainly for while riding off trail.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Modular helmet can fog glasses also, but when you get it set up it works good. I never use the mask unless I need it. Most of the time when I need the mask is when I have been riding all day then into the night when the temp start dropping.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Modular helmet can fog glasses also, but when you get it set up it works good. I never use the mask unless I need it. Most of the time when I need the mask is when I have been riding all day then into the night when the temp start dropping.[/b]

witch one is warmer

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have used the modular w/ glasses. I would say the modular is warmer due to the fact of the full shield and no air is blowing right on any open areas. It is drafty in spots but never really bothered me w/ a baclava on. I used the modular since 2000 and still have it ,even wore it in -14 temps and was warm, frost build up in the breathing tubes became a issue though .If the breather mask is sealed good around the top of your nose your glasses wont fog . Another thing is beathing habits, when exhaling try to blow it downward or out your nose it makes a differance , huff n puffn forces alot of warm air into the chamber at once and it has to go somewhere ! using the vents to let heat out helps too.

I never had to many problems with glasses other then the one time I was gearing up at the sled(helmet,gloves etc) and the pack started to go so I went too. I got as far as the road edge (25 yds) and notice I could'nt read ther sign :dazed: ... forgot to put my glasses on and they where missing off the seat ! luckly I found them right where i was parked.

Anyone have a contact lense pop out while doing 60 mph down a trail ?? boy that was fun :eek:hmy: lucky it stuck to the breather mask and not lost in the snow .

mutt

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Good and timely thread.

I'm due for a prescription change and was thinking of going the contact lens route because of potential fogging issue. I didn't need to wear my glasses last season but I know this season will be different. Reading about you loosing a contact lens Rick makes me think twice. On our Cochrane ride 2 years ago, one of my buddies in our pack had a pretty spectacular wipe out involving a head first landing into the snow. He actually had a snow line around the top half of his helmet (full face) showing how deep he penetrated the packed trail snow. He was wearing contacts at the time and didn't have his pop out. We were all impressed with that. LOL

I wear both a BV2S and a Skidoo Snow Cross with goggles.
The BV2S is an awesome helmet and seals off well and is quiet and warm. Too warm for my liking but I like it cold. Real cold. Mind you, I was real happy to have it when we've ridden at -40.

The Snow Cross style offers less peripheral vision compared to the BV2S due to the goggles and the wide view is one of the BV2S's strong points.
The Snow Cross is lighter in weight and definitely cooler and noisier. I like it for the first 2 reasons and don't like it for the last. Fortunately or not, along with old age and poorer eyesight comes deafness. That addresses the latter issue. LOL. I do wear a No Fog mask with it and it really helps cover up any exposed skin and prevents fogging issues.

What has been the experience of other contact lens wearers?
Would love to know before winter so I can decide what route to go for this season.

Jeff

·
Registered
327 Posts
My wife did the laser surgery on the eyes and now everything is great.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Jeff
I have had contacts for 6yrs now and my biggest issue with them is drying out . Wind and heat really bugs me , going from outside in the cold to a heated dry building really dries them out .
I learned to carry eye wetting drops for contacts after the fluke pop out on the trail and never had one pop out since while riding. I guess some have this problem with contacts and some dont , even in the sunner they will dry out on me if im out in the dry heat.

I would love to get the surgery done but the eye doc said it might not work for me , but then this was back awhile ago . With today procedures it might be a differant story now plus at the time my insurance did not cover the surgery.

I would suggest to talk to your doc and get a pair of non-script lenses to try out to see if you have any problems. The one thing about contacts is you need to get use to them , your eye is not use to something in there and they will be a little discomfort till your eye lids get adjusted to the contact in there.

As far as glasses vs's contacts, I wouldnt trade the contacts up . There's been so many times im glad I have them . I still wear glasses when im not going anywhere( kinda like a girl and her make-up) or just to lazy to put the contacts in .
Funny thing where talking this , I need to get in to the doc too before the contract is up ( might not have optical after this one !)

The only thing I see about what lid to buy with glasses is the fit , some are narrow and getting a pair glasses in there might be a issue

mutt

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
contacts dry up for me after a long day on the trail. last year I went back to the glasses and my mod , which to date for me has been the best for the glasses. bv2s would be nice. I have to admit the light carbon helmet I bought , this year for the bike, makes that weight really show up. snow x and pro-vue script goggles maybe?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks for the great info guys.
Sorry for hijacking your thread sort of Bombie. LOL

You wanted that info too, didn't you?

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts