Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sledding last weekend and she cut out on me without triggering any shutoff got her to start again but after a mile or two just cut off again. Now my qustions are dose a (rotary valve system take the need of mixing oil and gas away like the new sleds and if not what is it's pourpose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My old 77 Everest 340 was notorious for eating coils. I would always bring a spare. Usually 2. Sounds like a possible coil to me. They get warm and quit. Cool down a little, run some then quit again. Sometimes they just outright go, without warning, and never work again.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yikes!!!!!!!..Yes rotary valved motors still need oil mixed with the gas..All two stroke motors do since they don't have an oil pump that force feeds the engine through oil passages like four stroke engines do...The rotary valve allows the timing of letting in the intake charge to be adjustable and precise.....As far as your problems I agree the coils would be the first things I would check..They normally break down when they get hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes!!!!!!!..Yes rotary valved motors still need oil mixed with the gas..All two stroke motors do since they don't have an oil pump that force feeds the engine through oil passages like four stroke engines do...The rotary valve allows the timing of letting in the intake charge to be adjustable and precise.....As far as your problems I agree the coils would be the first things I would check..They normally break down when they get hot.[/b]
Ohhhhhh my gosh I have been running both my 97 indy 500 (polaris) and 77 ski doo 444 this way since last year. Maaaaan what have I done and is changeing the coils complex?????

·
Registered
12 Posts
To be more precise, two-stroke engines use the crank chamber as a form of cylinder so you need oil in the air/fuel mixture to lubricate the bearings etc. as it passes through, four-strokes only use the cylinder above the piston so they can have an oil sump below to lube everything.

If it's two-stroke, it needs some form of lubrication entering the engine with the fuel - pre mixed in the gas tank or oil injection into the inlet.

Ad.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I should have added that sleds with oil injection don't need additional oil mixed with the gas....It's not too difficult to change the coils,just unbolt the coil, pull off the wiring and replace with the new coil..The plug wires usually screw in...Of course if you weren't running any oil in your old sled that would be why it kept stalling. :bash:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts