Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!!! We just got 16 inches of snow and my snowmobile won't start for anything. I tested the spark plugs. They are working. I think it is a fuel problem because the spark plugs weren't wet. I noticed by looking at the gas lines that the gas in it wasn't flowing when I tried to start it. But when I do try to start it I smell gas. I've spent around a total of 5 hours trying to figure it out but I can't. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you dump a little bit of Gas in each cylinder and pull it does it fire?
If it does your having a problem getting gas into the engine which could be a number of problems .Could be a diafram,lines ,filter,clogs in carbs.
These are just the basic things I would check first.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree with that advice. When did it last run? Often times a fuel pump that is dry will simply not work at the low starting rpms. A shot of gas in each cylinder to get the engine "speed boost" to the rpms will often get the fuel flowing. Sometimes it takes more than one short primed engine run. You may need to repeat it a couple of times. Also, if the fuel is low in the tank, it may not be inclined to flow either at first. If there is good fuel quantity, it should start moving without much trouble unless there is a problem. Start small by checking the lines. Make sure the hoses have not cracked either in the fuel line to the pump, or in the pump impulse line from the crankcase. The inline filter needs to be checked as well. If those things check out okay and it still isn't wanting to move the gas, then you might need open and inspect the pump. (I have found the pumps to be very trouble free and rarely need attention.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with that advice. When did it last run? Often times a fuel pump that is dry will simply not work at the low starting rpms. A shot of gas in each cylinder to get the engine "speed boost" to the rpms will often get the fuel flowing. Sometimes it takes more than one short primed engine run. You may need to repeat it a couple of times. Also, if the fuel is low in the tank, it may not be inclined to flow either at first. If there is good fuel quantity, it should start moving without much trouble unless there is a problem. Start small by checking the lines. Make sure the hoses have not cracked either in the fuel line to the pump, or in the pump impulse line from the crankcase. The inline filter needs to be checked as well. If those things check out okay and it still isn't wanting to move the gas, then you might need open and inspect the pump. (I have found the pumps to be very trouble free and rarely need attention.)[/b]

The last time it ran was last year...i tried starting it ealier last fall but it didn't, although i didn;t try very hard. Where exactly are the cylinders? I already checked the gas lines and the pump. Nothing seemed wrong. Although there was a crack in one of the gas lines at the very end and it ripped off. But that shouldn't be a problem because I just put it back on the nob it was on and no air or gas can get in or out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did what you said "squrit gas in the cylinders" and it did start. So yeah obviously the problem is there's no gas getting in. I took out the fuel pump. Not sure how you can tell if it is faulty tho. The only thing it could be is that one hose that is cracked. But how do u tell if the pump is faulty? Please reply thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did what you said "squrit gas in the cylinders" and it did start. So yeah obviously the problem is there's no gas getting in. I took out the fuel pump. Not sure how you can tell if it is faulty tho. The only thing it could be is that one hose that is cracked. But how do u tell if the pump is faulty? Please reply thanks[/b]
Replace your cracked hose and try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the cracked hose...still no gas coming through. I have no clue what to do now. Any help??

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
I know it sounds stupid but there is gas in the tank right????

I've been fooled before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced the cracked hose...still no gas coming through. I have no clue what to do now. Any help??[/b]
If there was any water in the gas it may have frozen the fuel filter if you have one. You could try replacing it or just take it out of the loop for now. Check all the gas lines again and make sure there are no other cracks or lose connections that would cause you to lose vacuum. If that doesnt work I'd say your fuel pumps done or maybe frozen. Good luck

·
10,054 Posts
take the hose off at the fuel filter,,, blow back into that hose with the tank open and listen for bubbles,,, if you get none (cant blow back into the tank) you are frozen,,,, if you get the sound of nothing more than air, your line inside the tank could have come off. I am at a loss on how you knew what the fuel pump was but didnt know where the cylinders were at??

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If it hasn't been started in a year then you better believe you have to pull and pull and pull! My ole 96 ZRT always took 30+ pulls in the beginning of the season.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong but on those older cat's the fuel line comes out of the tank about half way up and if that is the case your fuel pump might be too weak to pull that gas up out of the tank. If the line does come out of the tank half way up then try filling the sled up with gas and allow the gas to be gravity fed to the fuel pump. After doing that just leave your gas lines off of your carbs and pull the sled over several times to see if there is gas being pushed through the pump. If so put the hoses back on the carbs and try again.

·
10,054 Posts
fuel pump shouldnt be too weak to pull the fuel unless your vac line is off between your crank case and your fuel pump, or your pump has a hole in the diaphram,,,, keep the problem simple,,, I have had more than one cat loose the fuel hose inside the tank and when the tank falls below between 1/2 and 3/4, it wont do anything,,,, you could even pull the input line on the fuel pump and blow into it,,,, this will verify that you are getting fuel from the tank to the pump or not,,,

·
Registered
79 Posts
fuel pump shouldnt be too weak to pull the fuel unless your vac line is off between your crank case and your fuel pump, or your pump has a hole in the diaphram,,,, keep the problem simple,,, I have had more than one cat loose the fuel hose inside the tank and when the tank falls below between 1/2 and 3/4, it wont do anything,,,, you could even pull the input line on the fuel pump and blow into it,,,, this will verify that you are getting fuel from the tank to the pump or not,,,[/b]
Go with Puree's idea. I've seen several fuel lines come off, or crack inside the tank. The only way to check it is to unscrew the fitting from the front of the tank (make sure that the fuel level in the tank is below the fitting, or park the machine nose-uphill, and remove the fitting. there should be no cracks in it. If there is, check with your dealer on what type of line should be in there. Most times their different.

Oh, and by the way... the cylinders are the two big, black, noisy, paint-can looking things that have the spark plugs in the top of them. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts