Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum. i recently bought a 1985 indy 600 triple, .030 over with triple pipes. my compression tester told me that cold, all the pistons were about 145, and warm they were all about 130. IShe idles well, but when i pulled it out of the garage last night, it ran well and than started to bog a litlle bit about 300 yards away, than cleared up a little bit and i heard a funny noise a few times. About 300 yards later at about half throttle she started to bog again and than slowly died. after a few pulls of it alomst starting, but dying instantly, she fiunally started and idled. than every time i would hit the gas she would bog and bog. so i lifted up the track a little bit and started pushing to get her going and than she ran fine for the last 100 yardsa back to my garage. than she just sat there and idled fine and reved fine. i just shut her off, but i cant seem to figure out what the problem is??????????????? any ideas or thought would be greatly appreciated. the snows fallin and i want to ride ha. great site by the way, i hope someone can help me.
alex

·
Registered
140 Posts
Rings, maybe....I had the same problem with my 95 XLT 600. I found the PTO side cylinder rings were damaged along with the cylinder and piston. It was hard starting and was doggy until I hit mid range then it took off. I noticed more smoke then I thought it should have. I was in denial. I didn't want to believe it was acting funny. I'm not saying that it's the same problem. However it could be. But I found my problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what made you come to the conclusion that it was the rings on yours? did u just rip ur engine apart? is that something that you cant pick up with a compression test? i dont know much about compression testing other than if all the cylinders are within 5% of each other and over 100psi your in pretty good shape. so i eliminated it being a piston problem, should i reconsider it??

·
Registered
430 Posts
Did the sled run good and strong when you bought it?
I assume so because you would not have bought it. Right?

How long ago was the rebuild?
Was it a shade tree rebuild or done right-
Did the guy just throw a generic set of pistons in the new over-bore or actually
match the pistons/rings to the overbore?
Why was it bored over .030 ?
Usually that heavy of an overbore is unnecessary unless the sled has a
trillion miles or had some serious scoring and or gouging of the cylinder walls-
It sounds like he may have attempted to make a version of his own lake racer-
It could be rings/pistons-------

Have you gone through the carbs? Sync- them?
Was it re-jetted for the overbore and pipes?
Are the Carb boots ok?
Engine seals? (Mist starting fluid around the seals. Any change in rpms means bad seals)
Was the head remachined to match the overbore?
How are the clutches? Belt?
How does the piston wash read?
How do the plugs read? Brown, black or white?

I would start with the fuel system-
Pump, Carbs, Filter, and impulse line etc.etc.

If all the above is good then you may have CDI or Stator issues-

I will tell you that 600 Polaris triples did not take kindly to heavy overbores and triple pipes.

More info is needed to help you narrow down your problem-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey taxicat, i appreciate all the help in advance. to start off i'll tell you how i came about this sled. It was a friend's who was the second owner but he bought it when it was a few years old way back. hes the type of person thast sort of a perfectionist and likes things done right. he didnt have the space for it when he was moving so he left it at another friends house. supposively they were using it, and keep in mind these people arent very mechanical, and then one day they said it just stopped running. so they just left it were is stopped running for about 2 years outside. Suprisingly, its in amazing shape, the hoods still has a shine to it with hardly any cracks and the seats hardly crack too. there is no rust on the motor anywhere other than in the normal spots. Basaically it doesnt look how it should for sitting outside soo long. So i told my friend, the owner of the sled, that i wanted to get a sled asap. He said that hed would just give me it because he kne w i would try to bvring it back to life instead of just letting her rot away. The sled has relatively low miles, about 2500. Im not sure about why the rebuild happened but he said it was done by a professional with wisceo pistons. when i first got the sled i ripped the carbs off and cleaned them the best i could with out messing up the settings because i do not have a sync tool, yet anyways. i saw that the middle choke cable was broken. Since that was the piston that i was told was shot, i was beginning to think that it wasnt shot at all and that just the choke was stuck. hence why i did the compression test and they all came out fairly even accross the board. I know the clutch was rebuilt the year he left it at his friends house, and on my 30 sec journey the clutch seemed in really good shape, although you cant tell too much from that short of a trip. i was going over the fuel lines when it wouldnt start and i saw that there were bubbles in the line and they werent moving. soobviously one of the problems is that it isnt getting fuel. so im going to go over the who fuel system fromm tank to carbs and see what i come up with and then go from there. i figured for a free sled i can put a few bucks in it, im just hoping i dont have to rebuild the motor. what is a piston wash by the way? I put all new plugs in and they all seemedfine but i didnt really get to run it enough to get a good reading. They all had a slight oil film on them. ill get back soon wityh the results of my fuel system check. probably before any one finished reading this essay ha.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
She idles well, but when i pulled it out of the garage last night, it ran well and than started to bog a litlle bit about 300 yards away, than cleared up a little bit and i heard a funny noise a few times. About 300 yards later at about half throttle she started to bog again and than slowly died. after a few pulls of it alomst starting, but dying instantly, she fiunally started and idled. than every time i would hit the gas she would bog and bog. so i lifted up the track a little bit and started pushing to get her going and than she ran fine for the last 100 yardsa back to my garage. than she just sat there and idled fine and reved fine.[/b]
It's highly likely this is a clutch problem. It sure sounds like it's just not backshifting. That would explain absolutely everything you describe. I've said this in three different posts tonight but this is common. Think about it. It starts, it goes good, but *then* it starts to bog down. Then when you lift up the track (taking all the load off the clutch) it starts to run good again. I would check that you are definitely using the correct belt and that the secondary spring is intact and installed properly. When you take off the belt, it should be pretty hard to rotate and open the secondary. If it moves easy, your spring is broken or improperly installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts