Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm totally new to snowmobiling. My girlfriend and I are thinking of purchasing our first sled. We want something used for our first one to make sure we want it. I don't want to spend too much over $3000 if possible. I know I won't be able to get the best or the fastest, but from looking at the want ads I think I can get something decent. Most sleds in that price range are 97-98 models and are either 600's or 700's, and a few 800's. I'd prefer a 600 over a 700, not that I have any idea of the differences, but I'm pretty sure the 700 would be faster than the 600. I'm sure that's quite the newbie thing to say! Anyway, what exactly should I be looking for in terms of mileage, brands, modifications, etc. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Also if anyone wants to clue me in on what extras I should be looking at, helmets, jackets, etc. that would be great. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Look for a sled thats been well taken care of,as well as low miles.....thats more important than brand..look around they are out there.i just bought a 98 zr with 1050 miles on it for 2500....as far as acc.HELMETS!!!and cold weather clothes..boots are very important.hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
where do you live ?

What type of ridding will you be doing ? groomed trails, deep snow, just spin around the house ?

How much do you and your wife weigh together ? My neighbors weigh over 500 pound together and there little v-max 600 has a hard time....

Look for something you can get fixed near your place, buying a brand that the closest dealer is 2 hrs drive isnt much fun.

A nice touring sled is the best if you plan on ridding with the wife.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i would say about a 700cc 2 up would be a good starter sled and as for helmets hjc is a good brand and if you keep them in good condit and decide to sell out of the sport you could re-sell them for a good amount also welcome to the sport! you found the right place for info!!! SWRules

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think Dan covered the right questions also if you never sledded before don't go too big there are some pretty nice 600cc two-up sleds out there make sure you get a two-up if you plan on her being a passenger(more comfort) just so you know a two-up has a longer seat and or track so you can take a passenger. Once you get used to it let her drive then you will be trading in the two-up in for two one-ups lol the main thing is you'll be hooked after the first ride have fun and be safe :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot for the responses. My girlfriend (not wife YET!) and I plan on probably just taking out on frozen lakes, and maybe a few trails. I dont know anything about trails and places to ride so I'm not too sure yet. As for weight, she's only about 113 and I'm about 160 so I dont think my ### will bog down a 600 sled :D . So brands dont really matter? And I should probably stay away from modifications right? I think i found a 97 polaris 700 with pipes, suspension for about $2400, i've yet to call the guy. Anyway, how expensive is maintenance on sleds in general. Thanks alot guys!

·
Registered
190 Posts
It really comes down to a personal preference on brands. I would take a friend along that has had a little experience with snowmobiling to help you look the sled over. You may miss something that is fairly obvious where someone that is a little more experienced could pick it out easier. When any of the guys in our group buys a sled at least one or two of us are tagging along to help look them over. Once you get out and ride you will be hooked. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was in your shoes a few months ago, but my requirements were different. My wife doesn't like the cold enough to sled.

I looked at a few machines, then took an experienced friend that is a sledder. He showed me what to look for. It's a buyers market out there! :)

I eventually bought what is known as a "Hold Over". A last year model. I'm happy with my decision. :D

I got a rebate that paid for all the gear I needed to go! :inlove:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts