Snowmobile World banner

Help Choosing Big Bore Kit Zrt800

12K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  94ZR580 
#1 ·
I wanna get my '99 zrt 800 (in signature) bored and ported and i have narrowed it down to what i can afford, which is between the PSI lake racer 1000cc bore kit (200+ hp) or the CPC 1132 bore kit (215 hp & runs at 8300-8500rpm). Both are close in price and both do the work to the stock cylinders and stock head, which i send to them. Has anyone had either of these kits or could help me pick the one with best results as far as accel, speed, and reliability. obvisously clutching and jetting needs to be done too. Or maybe you could mention another kit that works better than what's mentioned. Thanks for any help you could give to help me decide on kit.

#2 ·
I know nothing about either kit BUT unless your a tuner thats always on top of your sled a stock t-cat top end would be the way to go. I was tempted to buy a 925 or 1010 kit for my 800 ZR but since I wack huge miles on every season and don't want to be constantly tuning, I opted for a stock 900 top end.
Just a thought................Rick. :cool:

#3 ·
Thats not a problem for me the only concern i have is with the psi 1000cc kit they use oem 1000 pistons which if i ever need a new piston and rings should be easy to get where as the 1132 may be hard to get rings and pistons for in the future.

#4 ·
A big bore in your stock cyl's I think uses 700 wildcat pistons and a cylinder shim. That is prolly the cheapest and best way to go.

#7 ·
Yeah i considered that idea before hand but i want something different try out some big bores I'm still gonna have the carbs bored too.

#9 ·
Check out Black Magic Racing. I have their whoopass kit on my 900, awesome! friend of mine, who I am going up to St. Germain, WI this weekend has an 99 ZRT 800 with their 1106 Invader Kit.

#10 ·
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Jan 22 2004, 07:20 PM
I know nothing about either kit BUT unless your a tuner thats always on top of your sled a stock t-cat top end would be the way to go. I was tempted to buy a 925 or 1010 kit for my 800 ZR but since I wack huge miles on every season and don't want to be constantly tuning, I opted for a stock 900 top end.
Just a thought................Rick. :cool:
sorry to bust in on you
i have a zr 925 efi

and have put over 2000 miles on it
tuning= no tuning

i haven't done a thing

jim

they run great

p.s check out hoopers 1108 for the zrt

#11 ·
another place that would be worth considering would be d&d cycles... it depends where your at?.. as for the big bore thing dont get all worked up over that. my brother had the jaws set up in.. it ran very strong. his was the 1000 then he went with the hooper 1108 i think that is what it was .? not real sure but it was a hooper kit for sure. cylinders,rods,pistons,heads...... it would go but for the extra$$$ like almost 10,000 in it... for an extra 5 lengths and say 7mph.... thats very expensive for nothing realy and lets not say that mabe he was not set up right as we did run into the hooper guy himsleve at northbay speed run and that weekend we actualy outran him so thats not the case. go with the jaws set up or even the d&d i think that they are the f5or f7 cylinders that they call them.... i met a guy that was running this on asphalt and i tell you it goes and it is an 800.

#12 ·
i looked into this for my 99 800, found that to get any real hp outa the stock cyl, the exhaust port has to be opened up way large, which means pistons are strained alot and have to be changed like every 800miles, cause theyll be rockin around alot, ask around hard to beat a 1050 hooper kit, thats 220hp youll have youre hands full . ive seen them used for 1500.00 before. good luck remember this when you get into this league its the most money wins!! :blahblah:

#13 ·
Originally posted by graynfast@Jan 23 2004, 08:31 PM
remember this when you get into this league its the most money wins!!
Oh i know thats so true lol. I'm keeping the hooper in mind, but since i can't get now anwser on the two i listed i might pay 3 times more for the Genesis 1200cc kit which even comes with ceramic coated pistons. I know it's a proven award winning kit. Maybe someone could shed some light on this kit for me. Thanks

#14 ·
I live in Redgranite Wisconsin not far from the PSI factory. They help sponsor a water cross every year in the summer and this is the only time I have seen there stuff in person and it is for real! Unfortunatley it is for real dollars too and my ZRT800 will be lucky if it sees any of there stuff. Think it will have some Wiseco forged stock size 1000 pistons and anything else that will make it walk and talk for less than the $3400 I paid for it today. Psi makes some ungoddly naturally aspirated power though I think some of there arctic high end triples put out upwards of 280hp. Enough talk, time for my maiden voyage with the ZRT. Here kitty kitty.

#15 ·
what about going to a turbo on your sled instead of going to the big bore? just a thought. i remember reading an article on the net a few years back about t turboed tcat well over 200 hp on a stock engine running 7lbs boost. now crank that baby up to 14lbs and watch her fly( the pieces too)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.