Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding motorcycles for years(never in temp below 50 degrees), for me, being physically comfortable is the key.

I recently bought a snowmobile and need to ensure I get the right boots. I see descriptions of "casual snowmobile boots" and "performance snowmobile boots"!! It looks like the marketing folks are alive and well in this industry too!! I have a pair of sorel caribou boots that I have worn for years in the snow but they are "sloppy". One challange I have is my feet are big(13+), different size(one foot is a 13 and the other is much closer to 14), narrow feet, and a slight medical issue on my heal where cold temp really can create pain.

SO, 50 year old, conservative rider looking for input regarding how to go about keeping my feet comfortable. I doubt I will ever be out all day but a 2-3 hour ride will more than likely be the gameplan...any thoughts??thanks-brian

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I used Sorrels for a few years until I wore out the bottom. Sloppy isn't a bad thing on a snowmobile, it gives you a bit of room for more socks. Sloppy only becomes an issue when you end up walking.

I have tried a couple of other brands, but ended up using waterproof insulated hiking boots (Rocky's). My feet stay warm and dry all day. Klim makes a good boot, as well, but they are pretty expensive.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
I picked up a pair of Arctic Cat boots off eBay a couple years ago and so far I'm pretty happy with them. I wear a regular pair of white socks and a pair of boot/snowmobile socks. This combination seems to work for me and they actually kept my feet warm last year even at minus 15 degrees. They are a size bigger than I usually wear allowing plenty of room. As I understand it, you do not want them to be too big.
Richard

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I picked up a pair of Arctic Cat boots off eBay a couple years ago and so far I'm pretty happy with them. I wear a regular pair of white socks and a pair of boot/snowmobile socks. This combination seems to work for me and they actually kept my feet warm last year even at minus 15 degrees. They are a size bigger than I usually wear allowing plenty of room. As I understand it, you do not want them to be too big.
Richard[/b]
cotton next to the skin is not the best choice. it holds moisture and that will make you cold. coolmax , polypropylene are my first layers. fleece makes a nice outer. you want hydrophobic clothing next to the skin in any case. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
For the last five years I've been wearing snow-board boots. I know they're not for everyone, but they are way more comfortable, and supportive then anything else I've ever seen or tried.

Sloppy is not good. Have you ever wiped out on a sled? It's amazing to see someone's boots flying 30 feet in the air as they tumble head over heals. Wearing most casual snowmobile boots is like wearing sneakers or sandals on your motor bike. Comfortable for a short ride, but not a very good idea.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Check out Baffin's ..I swear by them for me and my family, they work very well for us..Warm, dry, durable and rather inexpensive .........

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I wear size 14 shoes . I got a set of HMK`s size 15 and they are a nice fit . my feet get cold easily but have never been cold in these boots . they are quite stiff and require several hrs of use before they feel broken in . once that threshold is passed they fit like gloves .if you want cheap boots these aren`t for you .they are a great boot for sleding .jmho Mark

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I agree that a flexible snowboard boot that is truly waterproof would be a great choice but a little on the heavy side. At a used sporting goods store that might be easily the best budget choice. Take heed there are a lot of snowboard boots out there and some of them are very stiff and limit your ankle too much, so always try on and bring a selection of socks. We used snowboard boots at first but now we use Danner waterproof hiking boots. You need taller ones that go up the calf some, about like a snowboard boot. The shorter ankle-length hiking boots are too short. We have a closet full of snowboard boots but the Danners are lighter, less restrictive, and therefore less tiring. Sometimes my feet get a little cold in mine but I could use more/thicker socks. Those Sorels, if they are not *too* loose, should be good at least to try. If they are really falling off your feet even after the proper amount of sock layers, then you need something else.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I agree that a flexible snowboard boot that is truly waterproof would be a great choice but a little on the heavy side.[/b]
Heavy? One of the things I like about my snowboard boots is that they are so light. And stiff as well. I like the ankle protection.
It is tough to get a pair that's water proof though. The cheap ones don't cut it.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I wear size 14 shoes . I got a set of HMK`s size 15 and they are a nice fit . my feet get cold easily but have never been cold in these boots . they are quite stiff and require several hrs of use before they feel broken in . once that threshold is passed they fit like gloves .if you want cheap boots these aren`t for you .they are a great boot for sleding .jmho Mark[/b]
Mark turned me onto these boots and I will never wear anything else :thumbsup: They are everything he says and more!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have always worn Lacrosse Icemens. A little clunky, but warm and toasty and feel like big warm slippers.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
KLIM ADRENALINE GTXBOOT!!! you'll never ever buy another boot again!
guaranteed for life! Last season one of the eye loops poped off,
so I called KLIM got a RA no. and within in a couple of weeks
they sent me a brand new pair! Who else claims to do so???
Pricing is from $143-$169!!!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Check out Baffin's ..I swear by them for me and my family, they work very well for us..Warm, dry, durable and rather inexpensive .........[/b]
I agree, Baffins rock :thumbsup: I've got pair for riding and a pair for ice fishing, my ice fishing ones are rated down to -150f :)

I know there not the best thing to wear but I like to wear cotton ankle socks as well, the thinner the better. Just can't stand the feeling of insulated socks sinking down into my boot :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brian, Take a look at theese. www.mukluks.com The felt inserts acctually form to your feet so the size thing wouldnt be a problem. Light as a feather, and work great on the -30 nights on our Quebec rides. I like the Youkons but dad and bro prefer the tall traditional. Was watching some expedition in the arctic on the Discovery channel, and son-of a-gun if they wernt all sporting a pair.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts