Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( i have a 97 mach z and it keeps fouling plugs a diff one everytime and lately they have been coming out not so wet but a little black at the tips i just got the cabs cleaned and whn i take it to open it up sometimes it bog down and when its cold it will run on all 3 but after it warms up and you shut it off and start it again it only runs on 2 cyl..

any answers...

thanks John

·
Registered
319 Posts
check your oil pump it might be sticking open a little there are two lines one on the pump and one on the lever they should line up.check your choke cables have you rejetted it for any reason like pipes,porting,reeds

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also to help things out a little make sure your spark plugs are gapped correctly and you have fresh super unleaded gas in your tank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i running 94 octane and th eplygs are gapped at .018 and its bone stock and the carbs were cleaned as well as the piltos and main jets last week still haveing truoble...

stator???

how do i test it

the sled will idle fine and run till it gets warn

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Check the choke cables as already mentioned.This would cause the sled to run ok when cold and too rich when hot.My brother had this problem on his 97 formula III.Had it to two different dealers and spent a couple of hundred bucks and they couldn't fix it.We decided to tackle it ourselves and as soon as we seen the cables it was obvious they weren't adjusted the same.2 of them were on all the time(not all the way on just enough to foul the plugs).And the dealer swore they checked them with their little tool and they were fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i had a 97 machz with the same problem and i put some bosch plugs in and the problem was gone never fouled another plug the plugs are desinged with the groung and the center electroid are close .the number is WR3CC or W3CC try these plugs.( no more changing plugs) when i had my 97 mach i bought plugs by the box. :blahblah: SWRules

·
Registered
677 Posts
My 97 mach z would foul plugs by the box, i checked everything that has just been mentioned and they would still foul, i switched over to champion powersport plugs and never had a problem again the number for these plugs is 8902, they cost about $4.00 each but are well worth it. I will never use NGK again, they made a small fortune off me until i switched to champion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The '97 Mach Z was one of the worst offenders of fouling plugs (almost as bad as the '96 FIII). A free fix is to drop the needles 1 or 2 clip positions, this will drastically minimize fouling. Running a full synthetic oil will help also. Good luck,
Rich K.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Switch plugs and possibly do what Polar suggests. My 97 ate them too,and it was always a different cylinder. I switched to Denso Iridiums and ran them for 2 seasons without a hiccup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats sound good about the plugs but it still bogs down after it get wrm and runs great when its cold.. when you go to open it up it fouls 2 plugs immeditely and there not fuel fouled it looks like they ar black and not wet

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good Luck my 98 mach z did the same thing. Finally said screw it and went to a 99 700 motor. I have tried different carbs, coils, stator ,cdi box tethers, plugs , oil pump,rebuilt top end and still no luck. After hundreds later and countless times to the dealer. Dude I feel for ya if you find out the problem Let us know. Good luck and happy plug fouling.
:cussing: :(

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
start with the simple stuff, try different plugs. The champion power sports are probably the easiest to find.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This should be a relativley easy fix. Your saying that the plug tips are black in just a short time. Since you did not mention that you were using oil at a quick rate (double what you normally use), it must be gasoline that is causing your problem. After cleaning the carbs and reinstalling your now way too rich, that sounds like the floats are out of adjustment. You can either reset the float adjustments or jet to where they are at right now. I would check the floats (and choke/enrichment circuit) and if they are about right, drop your main jets a few sizes and run it again. You should see some major improvement. It does not seem to be a real hard problem or expensive to fix. Let us know what you find when you check it out. There is a 99% chance that it is a fuel problem, now you have to hound dog it.......Good Luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it in the shop right now where they rebuilt the carbs and cleaned them he not even gonna look over the carbs again he is testing the stator???

oh boy some more money

i think he should recheck hi carbwork and then check stator

also check he rave valves too..

but hes not listening to me

Idiots at cicero lawn and snow cicero,ny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts