Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 mach Z. Last weeks drive it worked just like it should.After sitting a week it was more hard to start than normal and after a brief warm up took it out for a a short spin on a straight with some new snow.Shortly started to run on 1 to 2 cylinders. Checked and installed different plugs,no difference.Suspected water in fuel. Disassembled carb and checked, found some condensation, reassembled, started and run just fine.Took for another drive and now cannot get rpm to go over 7500.If you feed it slow while driving it pulls hard up to approx 7500 and when pressing throttle full, rpm falls back and feels like its bogging.Certainly feels like carburetion.Had local dealer check carbs again,cleaned clutches, check rave valves,drain tank and check fuel filter, all okay.Compression okay. Have any of you experienced such a thing, or what do any of you think might be the problem. It certainly does not feel like fire as there is no miss, and engine starts fine and seems to haul okay until the higher RPM.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You should have stator checked. You know, post like these are sorta a pet peeve of mine, you took it to the dealer to look for the problem right? , take it back, he`s in a wwwaaaayyyy better position to diagnose your problem, and he`s already involved, let him doo a good job for you, if he knew  it wasnt right he might want you back asap to make it right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
a coupla my buds drive mach 1's and they have this problem every coupla years. stator is high on my list of problems also. about 400 to 500 for parts on the mach 1. dunno what the mach z price is but good luck anyway

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Repair update. Had had local dealer all week,installed new stator assy today, still the same.Tried another exhaust cannister ,still not up to par. Any ideas? It still feels like a fuel realted problem to me, yet the tech thinks it could be fire?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Did they check the wire harness to make sure there wasn't a short when the motor moves at higher RPM's and you said you empied the tank, but did you  get the gas at the same gas station. they may have crappy fuel?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on senerio. Dealer tried coils from another machine, checked carbs again, checked reed system.
But I cured the problem.Traded for a new MXZ Renegade 800.

·
Registered
978 Posts
good move gotta love the renegade, still sounds like water in the fuel, I had the same problem last year with my 99 F-3 800 and I drain the tank also, but you can't get all of it out. My buddy Limskii told me about a water acumulator that sits at the bottom of the tank. Since I started using this I've never had any trouble since, use them in both my renegade and F-3. (life saver)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with machz99, whenever anyone I know has a bad stator the sled will not start at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts