Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I've got a 2001 MXZ 600 that I crashed last season and I wonder if it is repairable.  (my broken wrist is almost healed after two operations and lots of cool hardware-ouch&#33

I was cruising a field around 70mph and came upon a ridge that I couldnt avoid. It sent me flying about 20' feet high and my buddies measured 68 paces long. I landed very hard and it threw me off-luckily I only ended up with a broken wrist from bending the handlebars. The sled never rolled over and looks perfect -but when seen straight from behind it leans to the left-especially noticed looking at the seat. When I remove just the right side ski dolly the sled sits level. Apparently the left front suspension is pushed up allthough I cant see any real damage.

My question is this-if it is pushed up how can this be repaired or is it totalled due to tunnel damage? Unfortunatley I cancelled the insurance just before this happened-I thought riding was done for the year. Stupid me.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

A

·
0 Posts
Did in deep and see if the front frame is bent.  It'll be easy to spot with flaking paint.  If it isn't than you're in luck, just out a bit of money.  Either that or reinstate your policy and after the first ride, which you wouldn't be able to participate, claim it.  OH NO, did I say that outloud??

·
Registered
142 Posts
It is hard to see from the back of the sled.  I would start disassembling the sled.   Take off the secoondary clutch and the exhaust system.   You will be able to see a good portion of the frame and maybe see where it is twisted.  Next I would take out the rear suspension and check it for straightness.  Also take off the seat airbox and gastank.  By then you should have a good view of the frame.  If it is the rear part of the frame then you can buy the tunnel.  However drilling and grinding it out can be a SOB, they are air craft rivets.  If it is the front frame then take it to a Autobody repair shop with a frame straightener.  They can tell you if they can straighten it out and you may just need to put in some reinforcments in that area.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Yup she has some fine warp to it! Good to hear that you healed up though!
 How did the sled land, other than hard, wondering what corner  came down first because that should be where to start looking at in that area.
 How is the fit of most components; engine still sitting square with the air box, clutches, exhaust where they should be? Shock towers still straight and even to the center? Cannot see bulkhead   moving enough to have the machine look like that before it would of broke. How are the trailing arms and their mounts? Ski aligment good or close?
 Take off the seat and tank to look at the tunnel. Run a staight edge at various point looking for curves. A big 'bow' may not show any obvious wrinkles but just one big curve.
 Under neath the machine how is the track on the driveaxle looking for clearanes around the tunnel?  
 Hope this gives some ideas for looking.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Forgot to mention. Take off both skis, prop front of machine up on a narrow jack under the bumber allowing it rock somewhat freely side to side. Check to see how even the rear of the machine is from the frame or bumper to ground. Now up on front, with no skis just a jack on the bumper does the machine even out? Do you have 1 ski leg extended more than the other?

A

·
0 Posts
You know, in the pic it looks like the front is somewhat straight and the tunnel looks bent all to ####.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Oh yeah, look how the handlebars are staight but the rear is twisted like a mo-fo!  That thing is messed up!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ARCTICZRT600 @ Aug. 10, 2002, 4:20pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It'll be easy to spot with flaking paint.  [/b][/quote]
Unfortunately, the ZX tunnel is bare aluminum, so you'll have to look closely for cracks.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ARCTICZRT600 @ Aug. 10, 2002, 4:20pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Either that or reinstate your policy and after the first ride, which you wouldn't be able to participate, claim it.  OH NO, did I say that outloud??[/b][/quote]
That sounds like the best plan to me and I would guess the tunnel is warped too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check the back upper corners of the tunnel. A buddy of mine did the same thing and it looked alot like yours, the back corners where the tunnel is folded it split, He pulled it down, pulled the seam together and got the aluminum welded. It looked great when it was finished.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Suprised you said that you didn't roll that thing, because I can't believe the tunnel would twist that bad without rolling it.  Course I've seen and heard many stories about doo chassis being notorious for twisting and breaking under normal aggressive riding.  I'm not brand faithful to anyone(owned them all) so my observations are sincerely not biased.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just my 2 cents......................

Take a 4 foot level and place her under the rear of the tunnel (just behind the snow flap) and see what the bubble does; you should see which side is tweeked more. I would continue down the tunnel towards the bulkhead and you should be able to isolate the bend.

Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think it's got to be the tunnel too.  The front looks straight as an arrow, then when you get to about the end of the gas tank, that's where it looks bent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts