Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna buy a old sled in the next month.
I need your opinion to help me make a good choice
I will ride it 60% of the time on the trail, and 40% off road(not in 5 foot of powder but still)
1997 Formula 3 long track 600cc
1993 Formula plus long track 580cc
1991 Formula Mx 470cc long track

whats the best offroader(I know these sled are not tundras or skandiks but still)
whats the best sled

sry for my english

·
Registered
795 Posts
Myself I would go with the 97 Formula 3. Better chassis, better suspetion, higher suspention, better looking :rolleyes: The engine may be heavier because it is a triple & the other 2 are twins, but you will have alot more power. I don't think you will go wrong buying the Formula 3 over the other sleds. The F-chassis to me is alot better then the PRS chassis

·
Registered
790 Posts
Agreed, opt for the newer 97 due to it's power and suspension.
Swap the track out for an 1.25 inch track for better powder riding too.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
none of them are low on power. the 470's were strong for their size. but if that is your choice watch out for high mileage sled with worn clutches. they over-rev and when the 470 does for very long it will go. seen a few do that, it was the first doo we started tinkering with back in 86 as a 464.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't Know if anyone agrees with this or not but..... Triple Cylinders =Triple trouble!?!?!?!?!?
I've seen nothing but bad things come from the triples. You will notice that all manufactures have gone back to twins. JMHO, Greg.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
with sleds newer is almost always better..............[/b]
Very true.
That said, I'd pick none of the above.
The 91 and the 93 are out because the front suspension is hopelessly outdated. They're both complete tanks that are useless off trail.
The 97 is in a much better chassis, but coupled with that triple and it's not a great sled off trail (or even on for that matter) especially if you're new to sledding and not used to making a triple (or even a "high-hp" twin (you're right, these sleds are not skandics or tundras) work off trail.
Find a twin around 97 or newer and you've found your sled.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I don't Know if anyone agrees with this or not but..... Triple Cylinders =Triple trouble!?!?!?!?!?
I've seen nothing but bad things come from the triples. You will notice that all manufactures have gone back to twins. JMHO, Greg.[/b]
they are going with twins , because they can sell for the same money and they cost much less to make.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts