Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey : Myers Racing I would like your help about my sled because your a racer and I though you would know what to do. I have a 02 prox 440 fan and I want to make it faster and stuff just mostly more top speed what would you do if you had my sled what would you buy for more top speed or what would you change. Please dont just tell me to get a new sled I want help I dont to know that. Thanks so much....

·
Registered
303 Posts
IM not Meyer Racing but i do know a couple of things

1) clutch it.  goodwin racing has a clutch kit that will help your sled out greatly.  It ads alot of low-end and a great deal of mid-end.

2)after putting in the clutch, re-gear it.  Up the gears to something like 19-40 ratio.  What will happen is that you will loose low-end and gain top-end, (your sled will do about 97-99 mph).  The key is that what you loose on low-end will be made up and bettered because of the clutch.

3) Loose some weight.  There are several things you can do to the sled to help improve the weight.  
 a) Loose all the aftermarket crap.
 b) Get a new hood and gut, except the light and tach--loose the speedo, the insulation, padding, warning lights, hold on springs, etc...

if you do this, you should pick-up some mph.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello Myers !!!

Hows it going, long time no here.  I just thought it was funny that we ran into each other here also.  Anyways,   i have a freind that has a '02 pro x 440 fan , thats why i can suggest at least alittle knowledge.  But the reason I was asking all the questions, is that he bought his sled used, and since i bought my new it leaves alot of unanswered questions.  but the recommendations that i was giving were of actual things that my friend did to his sled, and they seemed to work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tatalover78 pretty muched summed up what I would recommend. I don't run a fan but I would say to clutch it and regear it. I haven't dealt with Goodwin personally but I have used Hot Seat performance clutch set ups and I know that they usually have a real good set up. You want to make sure whatever clutch set up you go with that you don't over gear it. As of rre-gearing I am not positive what came stock in the '02 fan but a good rule of thumb is every tooth smaller on the top sprocket equals about 5 mph slower also every tooth on the top sprocket equal about two teeth on bottom sprocket.
Do you have the '02 high performance manual? If not I would highly recommend getting one. Also you might try calling the Polaris race dept. and ask them for any hints. Another shop to try would be EPI (Erlandson Performance Ind.) They do a lot of Polaris set ups.

Hope this helps some but like I said I haven't been running a fan and didn't have a lot of time with the '02. I had a kid that I was helping last year but his just wouldn't run, ended up he didn't get the CDI update done.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey tatalover78 thanks so much for all you have helped already but I have another thing to ask. How do you know what to up the gears to you said 19-40 ratio do you have a prox and know what they come stock because I dont know what they come stock I dont know much about snowmobiling I just ride alot and want to keep up with my friends on there 500's. But anyways if I bring my sled to the shop they will know if I say up my gears to 19 - 40 ratio they will know what I mean?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Pro X- Changing the gearing is easy enough to do yourself instead of paying the dealer $60/hr to change them. I have the spec sheet on my computer still for all three '02 Pro X models and I looked at the fan and that sled came stock as 21/41 sprockets and 74 pitch chain. I will look at my high performance manual and see what that works out to be for a ratio but I am guessing it will be around 1.9 ish. I will e-mail the spec sheet to you so you know what is supposed stock.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well i was close about the gearing, not exact, sorry buddy.  Anyways, one of my good friends had a '02 pro x 440 fan.  He didnt race it but was always messing with it.  So after endless nights of getting drunk and watching an idiot take apart a snowmobile i guess i learned some things.  Myers is right though.  If you change a spark plug and put a chain on a bike you can install new gears.  its not very hard.  But i do suggest to get the polaris manual for your sled.  The dealer will be able to get it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If I remember right the High performance manual cost about $35. When you think that shops get around $60/hr you don't have to do much on the sled to save the $35. It is real easy to read and has pictures showing most steps. I can't remember how many times I used mine for my '01 and '00 440 racers. I sold my '01 Pro X and passed it on with the sled but still have the '00 440 and the race manual for that one. I truely believe that the manual is worth its weight in gold. I have  a pretty good mechanical history but I am limited to what I can do because of specialty tools.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it has been along time but I would like to know how much a goodwin clutch kit is ? And where could I find one ? Because I have looked around.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Also one reason for lack of power on these is because of cdi box problems the 02 prox fans are plaqued with,even the updated boxs were bad sometimes. Get a hold of Polaris Racing department and get the CDI problem addressed. These sleds are some of the fastest fan cooled sleds to come off an assembly line and are capable of keeping up or bettering some of the older 500 motors, but the newer 500 motors such as the ac 500 and the polaris valver 500 have way more hp and torque than the 440 prox Fan. You maybeable to get it to hang with them out of the line but they will smoke you on top end. If you go about making the topend better and lose any bottom end you have you more than likely will be pulling up the rear because of lack of bottom end pull.  Meaning you will have to keep it pinned at all times in the corners etc to keep up. This makes for dangerous riding conditions.As totallover78 quoted you may see mid 90s on the speedo with gearing changes etc but the 500s will see more than that on a speedo stock. Were the fans realy shine is in the woods with tight corners etc they are light weight and will come out of the corners fast and will beable to slow down for corners faster than most. And if you can ride well you should have no problem staying with your buds or even infront of them untill you hit the long straight.  We have played with the Fans mostly the snopro fan and I know a few that race the prox fan and the best thing for them is not to concentrate on getting more top end and concentrate on adding more midrange pull will making the bottom end pull better.  

If you are looking into clutching look at the heelclicker system it is the best clutching available since you will beable to adjust the weights for pull in all ranges i.e. awsome pull out of the hole and great midrange pull with perfect top end rpm and excellent backshift. After running many dif clutch kits and setup I have not found anything that will equal the heelclicker system.  You will have to learn about what the weights do as far as weight in the dif areas of the wieght i.e. heel,toe etc. but once you figure this out the heel clickers will be your best friends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts