Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on a trail today when the sled lost power, backfired a couple times, and finially died.

I just installed new plugs and even checked with new ones and no spark on any cylinder....

I have the service manual, but need some help on what to look at first. Any suggestions??

The sled is still on the trail waiting for a tow as I write this. With 10 - 15 inches of snow on the ground and the day off work <sigh> :cussing:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd say check the coil. Make sure they are connected at the coil, or possibly swap in a new coil.

How's the battery? if so equipped.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got it home and it's in the garage now. I haven't looked closely at it yet because I'm kinda disgusted right now. It did the same thing yesterday too, but it started up again and rode fine for about 2 hours.

Is there anyway to tell the coil is bad without just replacing it? This sled doesn't have a battery either and I think I strained a muscle in my shoulder trying to get it to start ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
The symtoms sound similar to two problems either the cdi

or the stator

Try to use a volt meter to see if you got power coming to

the coil remember that the system runs at 12 volts ac not

dc

Also check all your conectors to make sure that they have

a good conection and that the prongs did't get pushed

back in the plug plus that they arnt corroded

hopfuly this helps and gets you riding again!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
no spark on all three? Make sure your kill switch is taken out of the loop (does it work?) probably is ok. Sounds like a coil on the stator is heating up and separating or the cdi is heating up and loosing a connection inside. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a very similar problem with my skidoo. Turns out it was my cdi box....the insulation on the wires was cracked right where the wires enter the box. It acted very similar on two short rides until the last time when it backfired several times in a row and was dead. In the process of trouble shooting I found the cdi problem, but the box was fried by then

·
Registered
208 Posts
Probably not the answer for you, but still want to tell my story, I went to start my old yamaha for my younger brother this year. Had the same problem no spark on any kind of plug, new or old, I wiggled all the wires and still no spark. Then I looked at the tether switch, wasn't plugged in, just wanted to give you advice to check the stupid things which I never did and wasted about half an hour trying to figure it out. :( Hope you get the problem solved!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look at it this weekend and I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have good and bad news..... The good news is that I do have spark. I think I just didn't see it on the trail because I was pulling and looking by myself and it was pretty bright outside.

The bad news is I must now confess my stupidity: The first day I had it out, I didn't have the radiator cap securly on and it was spitting out coolant all over the place. Before I even noticed it, the sled was bogging out and I couldn't get the rpm's above idle. It eventually overheated and I got it back to the garage to replace the coolant (so it was well flushed) :sarcasm: . Anyway, it started up again and I rode it for an hour or two and put it away for the night.

The really stupid thing I did was when I was fueling eariler that night, I neglected to put the oil cap back on the oil tank. So, now I'm thinking what if water and coolant got into the oil tank and now I have water in the system. Would this explain the symptoms I have??

Another reason I'm thinking water is that I had been riding in some pretty deep powder and all that snow getting into the engine compartment....does this make any sense to anyone?

So, can anyone comment on my dilemma? Recap, I do have spark and I do have compression. There is gas in the fuel lines so I don't think that is not getting gas.....

I also sprayed some starter fluid into the carbs and it still didn't start.

Sorry for rambling but I'm a relative noob at this sort of thing and appreciate all replys - Indi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts