Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2002 mxz 700. It has 3000 miles on it. Very clean machine but one cylinder is at 60 lbs and the sled sat for a while with old gas in it. Would bad gas cause a problem with the piston or rings. And what would a worst case scenario cost be to replace jug, piston, rings etc. He is offering the sled at a fairly good price. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
One cyl being at 60 lbs is definitely an issue. It's really hard to say what the problem is until you take it apart. Bad gas can cause problems, but I'm guessing that in this case, something happened to the cylinder before it was stored the last time. More history would really help us to answer your questions. How did it run last time out? How long has it been sitting? The low compression could be something as simple as a stuck ring to something as bad as a broken ring and a torn up cylinder wall.

·
Registered
361 Posts
imho-anyone that let a sled sit with bad gas in it for a long time hasn't taken care of their sled...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Won't know the entire story until I go look at the machine this weekend. I'll be able to tell if the cylinder is scored and/or the piston is toast. Just wondering approx what it would cost to rebuild it if that's the case?? Thanks

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Won't know the entire story until I go look at the machine this weekend. I'll be able to tell if the cylinder is scored and/or the piston is toast. Just wondering approx what it would cost to rebuild it if that's the case?? Thanks[/b]
doo pistons/rings are not cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts