Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CAT service Cd/manuel to try and get some qustions answered.....this thing tell's like EVERY thing execpt what I am trying to figure out.

I was suffering from a soft ride last year, got some new shocks and had them rebuild and revalved by a member here.

Well I haven't gotten to even install the skid yet but did find what I need to know. On the REAR arm(siscor one)there is a solid shaft that it stops on. Now there are a LOT of diffrent mounting holes on the rail's. The closer to the front I move the arm the SOFTER it will get(per CD). It say's moveing back will get harder.

NOW it dosn't say if I'm suspost to move the solid shaft that the arm stop's on....it dosn't even give pic's of how it mount's....execpt for stock. Later in the CD it look's like the rear arm has been moved and it on a SHARP angel.....but there's no help or info

I don't want to just GUESS and end up bending something. PLEASE if you have EVER moved your rear swing arm BACK(to rear of sled) did you move any thing else.....like this solid shaft.

I don't just want to put this in stock...and find out it needs to be moved. I'm after the FIRMST ride I can get....and I don't want a stiffer spring.

Here's what the guid say's:

��NOTE: It has been our experience that a tight
front arm works well under only two conditions:
sticky snow conditions in the spring of the year
and in hill climbing on hard packed snow.
It has also been our experience with AFS models that
with the front arm adjusted too soft, the spring may
come off the roller. There haven't been any other problems
in handling caused by a soft front arm.
REAR ARM SPRING TENSION
The rear spring tension is adjusted for the weight of
the driver. There are three possible adjustments.
1st block position - set for up to 150 lb
2nd block position - set for 150 to 200 lb
3rd block position - set for over 200 lb

REAR ARM MOUNTING POSITION
(Between Rails)
There are several mounting holes found in the rails for
installing the rear arm.
The holes have been added to the suspension to provide
adjustment to fine-tune the suspension to driving
styles.
If the ride is too soft, moving the rear arm back
between the rails will stiffen the ride. By moving the
rear arm forward, it will collapse quicker and allow
more transfer of weight to the back of the suspension.
This will also affect the handling by providing a softer
ride and also easier steering.
The drawbacks of moving the rear arm forward are
that the suspension may bottom out quicker and some
travel is lost.

��NOTE: When making any changes to the front or
rear suspension, the change should be made at
both ends to keep the suspension balanced. For
example, installing stiffer springs in front may
require installing the next step stiffer spring in
back to keep everything in balance.

SO PLEASE if you know how to do this OR have done this on you sled PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive moved them forward and back on my zr8. The solid aluminum axle needs to be moved along with the rear sissor.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to ask, will this affect the mounting points for the rear arm in the tunnel ? ALSO, do I need to remove/adjust the "rear arm coupler blocks".....mine are removed as of last year.

Spazr.....did you notice a big diffrence moveing back 1 hole ? Or did you go a couple holes back ? Mine is second hole from the front.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When i moved them, the skid was in the sled. Youll still have to compress the skid a bit to get the holes to line up in the tunnel. I never ran the coupler blocks either. One hole back was plenty. Youll lose an inch or two ride hight going back, never bottomed out, but she will stiffen things up. You may need to re-adjust your limiters and front skid shock spring after the move. 2 full turns on the spring, from totally loose, worked about perfect.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it will realy firm things up ??? You said the front shock 2 turns from loose....was that loose where the spring was loose,like takeing the retainer out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Backed it off till the spring would rattle, snuged it up till it made contact, and two full turns from there. Yes, one back was plenty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My suspension used to sag and be too soft. I tried moving arm back but it made no noticable difference. Moved it back to stock position and bought a set of heavy duty fat boy springs for about 40 bucks from cat. Now it rides like a dream.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts