Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this happen before?. 2005 MXZ 800 X package. Started it up and rode around the yard a little this afternoon and when I went to shut it off, hit the kill switch and nothing! Just kept running. Finally got it to shut down by messaging the kill switch. Never did that before, and when I started it up again to see if it was a fluke, same thing! Do you think I have a major problem or just have to take the assembly apart and work the contact?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you messed with the kill switch and it finally shut-down, I would say it definately is a kill switch issue. Follow the wires down and make sure all connections are good. If so, you could use the lanyard to shut it off until you get a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
It's the kill switch, not the wires. It's a known issue. Sometimes you can make it better just by spraying some contact cleaner in there and working the switch back and forth. I have heard that if that doesn't fix it, you can take it apart and bend the contacts back to the correct position, but htis is just hearsay.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ive torn my kill switch apart the last 2 years. There is a brass plate in there and it apparently gets corroded. I clean it good and clean the other contacts in the switch. After I do this, the switch works great all winter. Its after sitting all summer that I have problems with it.

If you decide to tear it apart, be careful, there is a small little spring in there. I lost mine last year and was able to go to the hardware store and find one small enough in diameter, just had to cut the length down some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts