Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new here, and am just going to buy my first sled, a 86 indy 600. Ive ridden friends sleds for a long time, but this will be the first one ill own. Id like some more info on this sled. Any insight would be appreciated. It doesn't seam that there is much on the net. Were these good sleds? Ive heard they're fast. The sled supposedly has a rebuilt motor, and the kid who has it now just went through the carbs but it wont rev past 3000. Any idea? hes thinking fuel pump or carb problems. Also, what kind of upgrades are available for this sled? Ive heard that alot of the newer indy body and suspension parts work. Could anyone suggest some models that would provide good upgrade parts? I wont be doing any hardcore jumping or anything. I just want something that will ride nice on the trails and in the ditches. Thanks for putting up with all my questions. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
*MOST* parts will be interchangeable upto about 1996 wedge style sleds. Suspensions may be different, but you can drop a hole complete rear skid in from a different Polaris upto those years and it should bolt in. As for the reving, make sure the carbs are good and clean and calibrated properly, and you have good compression.

Is it bogging at 3000 rpm or struggling all the way upto this??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it bogging at 3000 rpm or struggling all the way upto this??[/b]
Im not sure exactly, I am going to get it on monday. He says "it wont rev over 3000" says it dies if you try to push it much past that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp. I got the sled. Gonna rebuild the fuel pump and go through the carbs tomorrow and see how she runs. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Make sure you actually drain and replace the fuel in the tank with fresh stuff, specially if you dont know its history. A fresh set of spark plugs dosnt hurt either... check for mouse houses and stuff in the air box....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts