Snowmobile World banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I have a quick question on my sled, I have 2007 M8 Cat, and i was wondering about clutching to my riding style, I like to climb anything and everything, What would be the best setup for my type of riding, I was looking at the RK Tek clutch kit for the diamond drive, But is that for speed or my style of riding??
if anyone has any answers please feel free to let me know

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Well there is no more valuable clutch kit than the one you make on your own. The process of learning how to clutch the results you are looking for takes time and patience, but one can usually come up with a better setup than any purchased kit out there.

As far as the RK Tech kit. It is really an adapting kit that allows you to run the secondary springs from the older cat clutches, otherwise known as "torsonal" spring instead of the standard compression only spring that the Diamond Drive now uses.

IMO - These kits (there are others out there that adapt the older torsional springs) are there mearly to appease those who do not want to learn a new type of clutching system. The TEAM Rapid Reaction clutch was the first to use a compression only type spring and offered outstanding backshifting and responsiveness for one great reason NO TORSION SPRING

Torsion springs apply radial twist allong with side to side pressure to help keep the helix buttons in touch with the face of the helix. These duties are now mechanically taken care of in the newer type clutches (Team, Diamond Drive, and the newer Doo Clutch) by means of what is called a "encapsulated roller". The buttons of the clutch are actually trapped in a groove in the helix and they are not allowed to leave the face of the helix, thus providing a positive connection of the two halves of the secondary clutch.

Torsional springs were used when helixs had only one surface, and were used to keep the buttons against the ramp. The downfall is a massive amount of friction that is generated and this basically "binds" the clutch as it moves thru it's motion.

The RK Tech and ODS kits were highly hyped all last summer, and when the sleds hit the trails over the winter, the people buying the kits were caught up in ill performing clutching and allot of cost wrapped in trying to get the systems to work. All said and done, everyone I know that bought one sold them on Ebay.

Outside of MAYBE drag racing there is no real gain, more than likely major loss with this kind of device.

With the cost, you could go out and buy several primary springs, secondary springs, and a set of good adjustable weights (personally I have had great luck with Supertips) and come up with better results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts