Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure that the clutches are setup properly on my sled... Here's the specs:

- 2000 Yamaha SX500R
- Custom made 700cc twin, 110HP/100Nm @ 7700rpm
- Red HC spring, 4,9g shoulder/5,2g center/5,2g tip
- 47deg helix, 90deg twist, pink spring
- 20/39 gearing
- 1,25" Camoplast Predator

I've just bought the sled and haven't set up the clutches myself, only engagement rpm. The sled hooks up fine but the top speed isn't very good and the shifting seems a bit funny. It feels like something's missing, if you know what I mean... Please give me some tips on what to do!

Look at this page for more info on my sled:
SXR700TT homepage

·
Registered
731 Posts
It looks like a nice wide power band, from 7300~7700rpm only 5hp diff. so you may want to try a low shift rpm 7500~7600rpm and see how it feels. Most of the Yamaha twins I clutch don't like anything over 7900rpm. I would look to hard for top end with your engine and gear setup, looks like a good drag setup and just may run out of legs after 1000' run.

·
Registered
14 Posts
okay, so you have a arctic cat 700 sleeve and pistons in your 500 engine.
please give me more.....

500 Sxr owner myself...

Thanks Brent

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't spoken to the motor builder yet. I'm also not sure about the sleeves though, it's possible that the block is bored + ported to 700cc. Cooling channels in the cylinders and top are changed a bit because the PTO side cyl overheated some. A top gasket made of copper was also needed, the stock gasket couldn't take the pressure, if you know what I mean... The rear exchanger from the SX700R was mounted to get the temp down a bit more. Pretty much stock aside from this. I'm currently trying to get the most out of the clutch setup. Got my heel clickers almost right but the gearing is propably wrong, will try 22/39 or 23/39 instead. Would like to try a 48/39 helix also. Next season I'm thinking of trying a ZR700 single pipe and bore the carbs to 39,5mm, we'll see what happens...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The carbs are going to help, hopefully the pipe will two. It's hard to find a performance pipe for a 500 SxR. I think the Arctic Cat pipe is longer, hopefully it will fit? Yamaha's stock pipe is pretty good, thats why its hard to find a aftermarket.

Good Luck... Email me when you get it figured [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts