Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, thanks for the help in my "newbie" post i posted last night. I'm coming to the conclusion that my girlfriend and I should purchase separate sleds. I want to go fast, and I'm sure we'd have more fun on separate sleds. That said, I've called about quite a few sleds, I'll leave out the kids who beat the #### out of their sleds and list my selections. ALL help is greatly appreciated as this is my first sled.

1. 96 Polaris XCR 600 Triple = 4,000 miles $2200
99 Polaris XC 600 Twin = 2,200 miles $3100

Both being sold by snowmobile mechanic who purchases trade in sleds from dealerships, goes through them "thoroughly", tunes them up and makes sure there all ready to go mechanically. He sounded honest and raved how mint the 99 600 Twin was.

2. 1996 Polaris Storm 800 = I'll know miles tomorrow. $2900

Spoke to mans wife. Sounded very nice and honest. Ad claims sled is "Mint cond. Very fast. Many Extras. Top end just rebuilt. Won't find one nicer". The woman said her husband is VERY anal about the upkeep of the sled and always keeps it in perfect shape. The price sounds right to me but I wouldn't know!

3. 1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600 Triple = Miles? $2500 b/o

Guy was kind of trashy, kind of a hardass dink to be honest. Got offended when I asked him his age. Anyway, he's keeping his other two sleds that he had for sale, one for him and one for his wife. Said he just doesn't need this one, it's an extra and doesn't get ridden much. Obviously he said it was taken care of and all that stuff, but i forget specifics.

4. 1998 Yamaha XTC 700 = 5800 miles $3300

This guy seemed a little slow, but he also seemed very anal about maintaining his sled. Here's a breakdown of the ad: Very Very clean. No break or belt dust under this hood. Meticulously maintained, needs nothing, runs great. Always stored in heated basement. 1 year old .92" track w/120 studs, clutch kit, new chain and gears, all new bearings and bushings in skid frame and spindles, gas shocks w/recent rebuild, heated carbs.

He said that his friends thought he was crazy for replacing all those parts when he replaced the track. He thought he might as well do it while it was apart. He didn't sound to be lying. This is a bit more than what I wanted to pay and alot more miles than I wanted, but it sounds well maintained, but how will the re-sale be after I put more miles on it?

Well that's it, I know it's long but I would really appreciate some help here! 2 and 4 are my picks as for now for the maintenance reasons, followed by 1 and then 4. ok i'll shut up now! SWRules

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What no doos??? :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
oh , the storms had lots of probs,you might wanna check that out pretty close

·
Registered
360 Posts
I won't tell you which sled you should buy, because I wouldn't know.

But, I can tell you one thing. It's a hell of a lot harder to get rid of a sled than to buy one. Don't expect to get your money back (unless you are very patient like I was). Over here especially the newer models go down in price extremely fast after they've been used.

The prices you list all seem good prices to me, but I don't know how the prices there are in general compared to over here.
I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't any Doos on the list tho.. But of course this is because nobody wants to sell them once they have them :)

Oh and one last thing, I'd be suspicious about the guy from number 1. Does he have a receipt from the dealer? I wouldn't believe it because the price is just too low for it, he'd have to put money on it himself to sell them to you for those prices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of problems did the storms have? I really like the sound of an 800 :D

About the guy in number 1. I actually called about an ad for another sled, and the guy was like "hey your look'n to spend about 3000? My buddy gets great deals all the time on sleds and i'll give him a call". Then he calls me back with the guys number and I call him. That's that story

And nope, i guess i haven't found any doo's in my price range :p

Are 600's fast? And what is the difference performance wise between a double and a triple, as in number 1?

·
Registered
791 Posts
99 xc 600 would not think twice.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
From what I've heard the 800 storms were heavy, and not as fast as the newer triples.

As a first sled, you may not want all that horsepower right away. Of all those, I'd seriously consider the xc 600. The rest are triples, and could be expensive to fix if anything goes wrong. Don't know much about the yamaha.

a 600 twin will be plenty fast. The triples have smoother power.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a Doo man but as for handling and great power go with the 97 ZRT.Ride with a buddy that has a 96 and he can hang with my 97 Mach1 pretty well til 80mph.Actually try to find an MXZ 583 or 670 you will get a bullet proof reliable sled.Just my 2 cents.Good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Of those you listed, I would agree with most and say the 99 XC6....stay away from the 96 XCR 6...second choice would be the ZRT, but find out mileage first. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sorry for being goofy earlier the cat sounds like a good one but you have to look them over close you can tell if its been beaten on by how clean it looks sometimes a really clean sled is in rough shape look at the undercarriage closely most guys will spend time under the hood but forget about the track and suspension :doh:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Also stay away from the storm I have a buddy who is a die hard Pol man and he had probs with his cant remember what but when he talks about it he gets all grumpy :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the sled is in great shape, buy the XC 600..hands down.
It has lots of power, decent ride and is relatively light.

I had a 96 storm and went thru many rebuilds.
It is a heavy sled that does go very very well, however you will be spending alot of money on it.
For a first sled, it is not a good one for you. I dont know your riding experience but if you are a newbie than to be honest it is too much sled.

THe 96 xcrs had issues, I would avoid it.
I am not crazy about zrts but that is just a personal bias I guess.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
468 Posts
MY choice without a doubt would be the xc 600,very reliable and good handlling sled plus it has lower miles,ps stay away from s chassis doo's such as the mx-z 583 and 670.they don't handle very well,a lot of inside ski lift on those models and kinda heavy. not good resale either .the ski-doo's in the zx chassis are a different story you may consider a mx-z 600 or 700 they are great sleds.but for what you listed i would without a doubt go with the xc 600.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Originally posted by anteater@Nov 30 2002, 09:46 AM
ps stay away from s chassis doo's such as the mx-z 583 and 670.they don't handle very well,a lot of inside ski lift on those models and kinda heavy.
hmm...they handle fine if you learn how to ride them. Every sled handles differently. Put an ETS kit on it and it handles almost as well as an SC 10II. The S chassis sleds would fall right into your price range, and both those engines will run for thousands of miles before needing service. Resale value depends entirely on where you are trying to sell it. My 97 670 was worth more to my dealer than my 99 mach 1.

In other words...anteater I don't agree with you :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im with rocket on this one too. The S-chassis is a good alround chassis and it can be ridden just as fast as any other sled out there. That XC-6 is your best choice in my opinion, good motor and reasonably light.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
First off where are you located? If your in WIS,IND,MI,OH,ONT bordering MI,ILL you need to go to the Snowmobile auction in Bronson ,MI next Sat. Do a ggogle search for snowmobile auctions and it'll pop up, then scroll down there home page for price reports. And look how cheap sleds go for. We have a local dealer that has bought and resold several sleds doubling his money. Heck, it's worth a really long drive or flight. Guys come from Alaska at times to buy semi loads of sleds to take back. Thosoe prices are all high for around SE MI i can tell you that, except that ZRT is about spot on for a used sled.
Caleb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey you guys have been a big help, your definitely steering me in the right direction. I'll still look at that storm, but just to learn from it I guess.

I went and looked at a pair today that a guy was selling. For me he had a 99 Yamaha 700 triple, with a new cover cuz his buddy hit his front and he needed a new one, other than that no problems ever. It has 2200 miles and he wants $3600. For my girl he had his wifes Yamaha 600 double with 3200 miles for $2500, that hadn't been ridden in two years. So $6000 for the pair, I honestly had no idea what to look for and kind of felt like an idiot :doh:

What kinds of questions should I be asking? What should I look for? Thanks again for all the help! O BTW i'm located in New Hampshire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts