Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends 96 XLT with a 97 600 motor.  Does not start.  There is spark on all 3 cylinders.  It appears all 3 cylinders have compression but i'll know for sure tomorrow.  It appears only 1 cylinder is getting fuel.  This sled has sat for about 1.5 years.  When it was put to rest 1.5 years ago it had problems starting unless you dumped fuel into the cylinders and pulled 50 times.  Is this something as simple as cleaning the carbs?  How do I know the fuel pump is working?  Is cleaning these carbs tough?  Any suggestions.

What NGK plugs should I use and at what gap?  What compression should I get on each cylinder?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
It should fire right up if properly tuned! My uncles 98 fires right up with it's electric start. I've never started it cold by hand but it starts on the first pull usually when warm. You'll need to completely tear down your carbs and clean them if it's sat that long. Then install new plugs, I believe it calls for Champion. Don't stray as Polaris is stern about the brand to use and they do tend to work good only with the stock plug in a stock motor. Replace any hoses that look discolored as they are cheap and you'd not want $5 worth of hoses to leave you stranded 30 miles out on the trail. And replace the belt just for good measure I saw. Check the bearings in the rear skid as they are cheap and easy to replace if needed. This should get you on the right track.
Caleb

·
Registered
660 Posts
If it has compression and spark, the only thing left for combustion is fuel and A/F.

These purple headed XLT should fire up in 2 pulls. I have neaver seen a motor start so easily and I have built many.

Pull off each carb, look for varnishing. Change all jets that need changing.

Good luck

·
Registered
533 Posts
Jets that sit in old fuel for a long period of time will cause nothing but headaches.

Change the Jets and clean the carbs.  While your at it also clean the Fuel pump and check the compression in the jugs.

just my two cents.

newf

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (newf @ Aug. 06, 2002, 10:42am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jets that sit in old fuel for a long period of time will cause nothing but headaches.

Change the Jets and clean the carbs.  While your at it also clean the Fuel pump and check the compression in the jugs.

just my two cents.

newf[/b][/quote]
Clean the fuel pump?  How?  Forgive the dumb question but i've always had Arctic EFI's.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woohoo,GOT IT!  Carbs were remarkably clean for how long it has sat BUT the chokes were not.  I found 1 choke that was stuck in place, luckily I got it out without ruining the carb.  Now, about 6 bogie bearings to replace, get the speedometer working and clean this thing up.

·
Registered
660 Posts
That's about right.

These low compression triples are amazingly easy to start.

I can remember days where newer Doo's where flooding because of the primer - but the Polari would alway start on first pull - One arm. My buddies would get so pissed off.

·
Registered
300 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mopar4u @ Aug. 07, 2002, 3:38pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fired up 2nd pull[/b][/quote]
Glad you got her fired up!  Like stated earlier, these triples pull easy and start right away.  My sled is a 95 w/ about 6K miles and it reads 115-118 across all 3 cylinders and starts by the 3rd pull EVERYTIME.  Just hope we get some snow this year.

·
Registered
277 Posts
One of the chokes??
Iwas right then, its a "puppy fail" on those xlt's...

Don't forget to nail it!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 1994 XLT fires up on the 1st pull.............I have never seen a liquid cooled sled start so easy!!!!! It starts better than my 2002 EDGE.

·
Registered
120 Posts
glad to here ya got her to fire.
on my xlt I had to drain the crankcase every once in awhile,it would fill up with gas and would not start no matter what you would try.

as for the plugs,forget champion...run a good plug like ngk br9es,,,something other than champion(sorry,just not a fan)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
what compression should the xlts run at.  I have one and i think the lowest compression in one cylinder is 90 psi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My friend has a '97 XLT and he is having problems with it flooding. If he doesn't turn the fuel off the motor fills up with gas. I have heard there is a problem with the needle and seat on these carbs. Is that the most likely place to start with this problem? What are the proper jets to use for this motor? (1400 feet and riding no colder than -20C)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts