Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine has a 91 mach-x and it is in perfect condit only a shade under 2000 miles 96 studs  and only wants 1800 ( hes owns a motorsports shop) and i was wonderin if the 1800 would be worth it   or if its to much

thanks sledder buds

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've been told that the Mach X is very hard to find, but I don't know to which years that applies.  I bought a '92 Formula Plus X up in Madison but melted a piston after riding only 50 miles on it so I don't have too much experience with them.  The X indicates that it is factory modified for racing, but I believe it is for drag racing.  Modifications included larger carbs and fox shox all around.  I didn't care for how the sled handled the trails at all.  You may want to keep this in mind depending on what you intend to use the sled for.

BTW, I paid $950 for the sled with about 1500 miles on it, but the hood did have some cracks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Dont waste your money on the old PRS chassie. They look cool sitting there but that is all that is any good about it.
The chassi is nothing but a massive hunk of steel. The rear suspention is the worst work of art on the planet.The track is at least 1/2 inch thick[something out of a grain elevator] takes two men and a boy to turn it over
The front shocks are mounted inboard with all the engine heat and fade fast. But, the engine is the best, ROTAX!
I waited a lot of years for doo to make a sled which they finally did in 94 with the F chassi and have improved drastically ever since!
The X was a skidoo failure just like the 95 Mach1. Twin pipes and big carbs was something doo just never got the hang of,
better left to the aftermarket guys.
The X was so slow my 94 FormulaZ beat it time after time in 600' just like my Formula SS could beat the 95 Mach.
If you are looking for a Skidoo or just looking at that sled because you think its a good deal save your money and at least get into an F chassie. There will be a lot of GOOD deals out there this year with the bad winter we had. Punch up snowmobileauction.com and look at what sleds are selling their for [unbelievable!] IMO........

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I agree with mikadoo. Stay away from that chassie. Very heavy chassie. Doesnt handle well adn is terrible in deep powder. Very heavy. That is a rare sled though. Ski doo motors are the best in my opinion!!! I am currently putting a 89 Mach I motor in a lighter better handling Polaris Indy chassie. Just my two cents. Go to a 94 or newer that has the newer chassie for trail riding

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the 91 mach-x is a very rare sled only 50? i think  this sled was used as a test machine only for a race team and i wouldnet be riding in powder heck im lucky to ride on snow around here anymore  
  but for 1800 im kinda thinking thats not that bad a deal buy it strip it and put the parts on a dif chasse or keep it as a collectors sled?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I tell ya what...I ride cats but I'm the lone cat guy in a BIG pack of SD riders. These guys bought new sleds EVERY year and I got plenty of seat time in all of them. Whether or not you would like this sled depends ENTIRELY on what kind of riding you do.  The PRS was NOT a ditch banger...but on smooth groomed trails it was excellent. No ski lift , no push. There was a comment about the 95 Mach 1....the coolest twin motor ever made.. and my favorite SD of all time.  Course...I only ride groomed trails...and if the trails get icky I don't ride.  Maybe I'm spoiled with the excellent grooming service of northern MN snowmobile clubs? Either way...what matters is how you wanna use the sled.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the type of trails it would see are private trails they are trails that the club members set up through feilds and trails we cut through the wood nothing fancy and never groomed they are twisty and steep in parts and straight and flat in others but theres not many spots you can get going over 40-50 due to turns and steepness and as for the snow levels the most it would prly see at one time would be  maybe a 12-18 inches at most and thats rare it normally comes in about 6-8 inches at a time and gets packed down or melted.. if i got it i would most likely use it for some sort of racing prly grass drags

·
Registered
54 Posts
We call that "old time riding"...and still have guys with leaf spring fronts doing it.  I don't think you have much to worry about. The one thing that does come to mind....I remember the X's of that era having fox shocks that were WAY out of tune..just horrible. The marriage of SD and fox never worked out like Cat and Pullyurass...not sure why? The upshot...fox shocks are tuneable...

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think i might know why fox and skidoo did not work out.
skidoo always had to have there name on the parts even if they did not make them there name was on them besides the carbs that could not happen.  an example is the hydrolic brake caliper 95-97 skidoo had the name on them 98 and one brembo name is on them.  The two calipers are the same.  Even the belts skidoo made a fuss of.  I remeber when skidoo was have troblem with them in 94-97 we had a box of skidoo belts come from the factory in a dayco box.  I used to work at a skidoo dealer ship.  even there track had to have there name on them even though they were made from camoplast.  and i think there oil is made by castrol.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you wanted to build a good lake/ grass dragging sled it might be a good way to get started in it. The Mach1 X had allot of other things done to it like a trick rear susp (it has ACM on it) and better air-box and allot of little things that helped it make some decent power (112HP I think).

I had a 86 Formula PRS with HRP pipes, 44 carbs, porting K+N filters and a Mach1X rear susp and boy did it fly!! Really made the flatlanders mad when they were bringing up thier 750 VMAX and 700 Wildcats just to get spanked by an old 521 SkiDoo!!! If you could get the price down, it might be a good buy. I would not pay more than $1200 USD this time of year.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did some so called "research" and i called it a mach-x  it is a mach 1-x(my bad) and there were only 500 made  and i guess some people concider it a collectors item it come fractory with studz and fx shocks this sled was used as a test sled for a after market products designer  and only has 2000 miles and lots of extras  i was told it has about 125hp i dont see how it does it wasent bored or anything and still has the factory pipes so im not sure about that if i can get a good price ill buy it up and  go from there thanks for all the help

danny

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Five or so years ago, my dealer had a 45 gallon drum of oil with Bomabardier stencilled on it. It was labelled from Castrol. Also look at the 4L jugs from 'doo & Castrol. same jug, just different caps & labels.

A question for the experts, my '95 MXZ 440 had the Wilwood brakes. Did that caliper not have Wilwood on it? I don't remember what mine said  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts