Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys change your hifax? I usually take the whole rear skid out. I talked to a dealer mechanic in Escanaba,MI that says he can do it without taking the rear skid out. He claims he pulls them through the track holes with some WD40 and by twisting em'. You guys had any luck, it's a pain pulling the whole rear out.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It has to be done using the track windows.  There is one screw on the hifax located about half a foot to a foot from the front of them.  Move the track so that the window is right under the screw then unscrew it.  Then move the track so the back of the hifax can slide out of the window and slide the new one on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MACHZZZZZ

You must have a different track, because I also must pull
the whole rack out. The windows are too small on '97
MXZ 670.   ???

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I remove the skid.Takes some time to do though,but not a big deal.Maybe I'll try it the easy way next time. I won't have an excuse to hang out in the garage and slam some brews if I get it done to fast. ;)

Hey Steimy,Can't get out of work Saturday,boss is being a ####.Probably for the better,damn the weather.Let me now how the ride went.You horsecollars have fun.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Jeepin...I have a 97 670 and I got the hifax in and out through the windows no problem. I would not recommend dropping the skid without a impact wrench. Saves alot of frustration. the windows do have to be stretched a bit, but as long as you lube them a bit (ie dishsoap) the hifax is easy to replace.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mxz7, my a$$ ain't goin' no where, it got up to 45 there today and said they were down to limited grooming instead of reg. grooming because of conditions so I cancelled. Maybe next time eh?

Horsecollar Nick, you better check your slides after burnin' em' up runnin' on the neosho pond.

I don't mind rippin' the rear skid out, I usually do it before the ridin' season starts and I'd rather not do it twice in a season. I've got 700 miles on now this season and there gettin' a little thin. They can probably take one more trip before I change em'. Last year I made it all season and they still weren't that bad when I changed them 3200 miles!

Thanks guys-Steimy ;)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I drop the skid.  I've got them out through the track, but damn if I could get them back on.

Gives you a chance to go over the skid in good detail and catch any future problems anyway.

FishHog

P.S. What the hell is a horsecollar?  Come on Steimy, the suspense is killing me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rocketman,
I have the metal clips in every window, is this stock?
Do you take a clip off to pull out the hifax? I have 300mi
on and need to replace again, poor conditions and lake
racing w/ no snow.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FishHog, you've must have missed out on a few recent posts where I revealed to the world what a horsecollar was, Oh well you missed out, J/K, Mxz7 even knows what a horsecollar is, he just called me one!

Horsecollar- One who snowmobiles.

jeepin, it doesn't sound like your track is stock.

·
Registered
184 Posts
well maybe I am just diferent but  

I use a pipe wrench to remove old hifax.

loosen track remove screw then twist hifax useing pipe wrench.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To change the slides quickly and easily just take a sharp knife and widen a set of the track holes. Just cut the sides of the holes in a half moon shape just wide enought for the slides. My buddies and I have been doing this for years and it never caused a problem.

Of course the right way is to drop the suspension and give it all a checkover but in a hurry try my suggestion.

When in doubt-throttle out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CAN GET THEM OUT AND BACK IN THRU HOLE'S. JUST PULL IT OUT THEN YOU CAN RE-PACK YOUR IDLER BEARINGS AND TIGHTEN EVERYTHING. WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN JUST START TWO FRONT BOLT'S THEN RELEASE THE REAR SPRING  ON RAIL AND SLIDE BACK UP IN WITH A FLOOR JACK, IT IS EASY TO MOVE AROUND IN THERE AND BOLT REAR SPRING'S BACK ON AND ALIGHN TRACK AND GO.       GOOD LUCK MAN!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
jeepin....I don't know what stock is...I have a closed window camoplast track on mine...just assumed it was the stock one... (bought the sled used)

·
Registered
27 Posts
HEY CRUSHER,
EVERYBODY IN MY AREA ALL PULL OUT SEAL AND RE-PACK, GO BUY A NEW ONE AND PULL OUT SEAL AND SEE HOW MUCH GREASE YOU HAVE IN IT!!  WE RE-PACK BRAND NEW ONE'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
nomad is correct.  I always re-pack my own bearings even when purchased new.  They come with just enough grease to stop them from rusting.   Talk about cheap.   Also, I drop my suspension to change out hyfax.  You have to loosen the rear bolts to try to push them through the openings anyway, so why not take the suspension out, grease it, inspect it, and replace the hyfax pretty much standing up.   I know a lot of guys that replace them through the windows, but they really have to work at it.   Both ways will work though.  Your choice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just relaced mine when i done a track swap. There is a easy way to get rear in. Start the front bolts and then go to the rear. Don't take the springs loose leave them alone. Get a little ratchet strap and hook to the top of rear shock and hook other end to the front arm and ratchet it togethor until the holes line up, this is easy to do with sled on its side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts