Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started up my 97' 700sks and it seems to idle a little high (about 1500). As I remmember it was lower last year (around 1200). What could be going on? Maybe a little varnish in the carbs? I cleaned them but maybe I missed somthing. This is warm idle after a few laps around the yard in the sweet snow we have here in central MN. While I'm at it how hard is to put in a cluch kit? Do you think it is possible to rent a puller? Who has experience with cluch kit in a sks or xc years 97-00 I think they are similar set ups?

Thanks in advance
Cam

·
Registered
310 Posts
about your idle problem, now im not POSITIVE if the round slides you have on their have the screw on top of the carbs for the idle or not. but on flatsides (and maybe roundslides too) there is a screw on top of the carbs, you can adjust it to either idle lower or higher. I dont know what is normal but i have mine at 2300rpm. but its a twin.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I but a SLP clutch kit in my 98 xc 600 that woke it up. I could set you up with the right combination if you tell me what gearing you have in your sled and at what elevation you run at. I have an SLP chart telling what is in all there clutch kits. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks xc600 I have stock gearing I'll check what that is and I run at 1000-2000 feet amsl.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This motor like to be pulled hard. Start off with heavier clutch weights like 10/62 or 10/64 and get a new primary spring (dark blue) in the secondary clutch try an r12 helix 50/36 with the stock secondary spring. and drop your gearing to say maybe a 1 tooth on the top gear or one tooth bigger on the bottom gear. This will give you real good bottom end pull with maybe 1 or 2 lost mph on top.

As far as the carb settings they were somwhat lean in the pilot area, you can turn in the airscrews about 1/8 to 1/4 turn and this should help with starting etc.

When you cleaned the carbs did you check the pilot jets? they are the small ones next to the mainjets when you pull the floatbowls off. These become plugges very easily. Use carb cleaner and an air gun blowing back and forth through the removed pilot jet till you can see that it is open/ clear (hold it up to a light and look through it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Older Gas, Warm Air, could all account for a higher idle.

I would make sure that when you put the carbs back on after cleaning that you put them on right and tight. An air leak at the bace of the carbs would raise the idle. Also before starting Pin the throttle On and Off a few times to get the carb slides working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts