Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowmobile Kills Chisago City Boy
Have you guys heard about this horrific story, seems some punk 17yr old killed a little 2yrold boy that was sledding down in a park. The snowmobiler was drunk and didn't even know what he had it. There is a memorial fund set up for him and his family at,
Ryan Anderson Memorial Fund
The River Bank Minnesota
Box G
Chisago City MN, 55013
A story is in the works about the number of snowmobilers from across the country flooding the local area with cards and money, The SnowmobileWorld Forum posters should also help.
It's a gut wrenching story, and is a reminder for you who like to swill a few while on the trail......
The article can be accessed from the Sno-West General Forums.
Lets all come together for this family.......

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have sent a donation and urge everyone to do the same.  Show them the sledding community cares and DOES NOT CONDONE DRINKING AND RIDING!

That 17-year-old deserves everything he gets in an ADULT court.  Throw the book at him and let him rot in jail.

S

·
0 Posts
I know what you mean thundercatzr, but the fact is courts are way to leaniant(not sure if i spelt that right) and he will probably get a slap on the hand, instead of the chair.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just spoke with the author of the article - says he has gotten great response from snowmobilers all over the continent wanting to know where they can send donations.

He indicated that donations are going to be used for making the park where the tragedy occurred a safe place for children to play.  Where they can be children and not have to worry about an idiot running them down.

Now just imagine if everyone here dug into their pocket and mailed off just one of those tanks of gas that you haven't used this year?  what's that?  10-15 bucks?

That would be an awfully nice park.  And no one would kill the children anymore.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This dumbass was sleddin where he should not have been and clearly admitted that he was "TRYING TO GET SOME AIR" which means he probably was speeding! What is this world coming to when a toddler cant even go sliding with getting killed?

My thoughts and prayers go out the family of the victim. You will be in my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Just read that article too.  My sympathy goes to the family and anyone who had to see that happen.  Have an 18 month and 3 yr old...couldn't imagine the pain of losing either one of them.

The teen does need to be punished, but believe me, he will feel so much pain when he grows up and realizes what has happened...would hate to be in his shoes at that time.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I think there are too many kids out there who havent had a father to teach them the doo's and donts of snowmobiling. Its a real shame to hear of things like this

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been a deputy sheriff for 11 years, this just makes me sick!!! Nothing worse than going to a call where a child is killed, I feel so sorry for the family. You have no Idea how much it will mean to the family that responsible snowmobilers will step up to the plate and acknowledge this families horrible unecessary loss and do something about it!! As far as I'm concerned if your under 18 years of age it should be mandatory across the country that you have a snowmobile safety class. And for you @#$%^&* that think the laws are too tough, tell it to that little boys family!!!!!!!  My check will be in the mail tomorrow I challenge every person in here that has a soul to do the same!

Edited by DanR !  i know this is a touchy subject but watch you language please.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My thoughts and prayers also go out to this family. The $$ will go out tomorrow. I did read in the aricle though where this 17 year old had his snowmobile safety certificate. He had gotten it the the town where the little boy was killed, and knew the speed limits and laws of the town. I do think he should be dealt with, this should never happen. Kevin

·
Registered
555 Posts
That really sucks! Two families lives changed in an instant!

Another effect of drinking alcohol.This effects all of us, every

time there is a snowmobile accident, even if it does not

include alcohol or death, it is a bad word for our sport. There

are many people who will look at this as 'a snowmobile killed a

little child' and not even consider the facts of the alcohol and

the irresponsible teen.

That really sucks! Two families lives changed in an instant! I

would be willing to bet those 2 families will be hating

snowmobiles from now on.

That really sucks! Two families lives changed in an instant!

Please think about what you are doing. I don't want to see

this happen again.

Paul.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MO FO you are so right. IN our state  [IL.] It's the law, any one 12 years to 16 years of age must have safty coarse and pass it. I have 4 children , 13 year old boy is the oldest and he has learned the doos and don'ts of safe snowmobiling . this is stricky enforced by the DNR. MY heart goes out to the family. My check is in the mail!!!!!  oh one more thing,  I do think all adults should have to pass  test too, I did

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is a letter that the Admin of Snowest posted today.  Ryan's father is not blaiming sleds in any way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is an email SnoWest recived Thur 1/24/2002 10:32pm

My name is Mark Anderson. I am Ryan's father. I have found out of the posting you had on the internet and have been reading them. I deeply appreciate the out pouring I have been reading. I have had people tell me they think a ban on sleds (snow machines) is the answer. It would be easy to say yes but I just can't believe that is the answer and my wife agrees. We do on occasion like to sled ourselves in upper WI at my mom and dads. We do feel that the accident doesn't me all riders are bad. I just feel I had to tell you this and thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Love and blessings the Andersons
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
aksummitx,
 i feel pretty good after reading that. it looks to me like mr. anderson has his head on straight and is not mad at society  even after his great loss. may the LORD continue to keep this man strong.

after any snowmobile mishap you always hear from the commentator; speed and alcohol were a factor. i say if it weren't for alcohol then speed would not have been a factor. sounds like anyone can turn a story and say that person was wearing a shirt, so the shirt is bad. that is the kind of slap snowmobilers are taking and must be dealt with.

i know for a fact that sledders do alot less booze and dope than other groups, let us continue to be superior examples of mankind. we must monitor this somehow and allow it to be public knowledge. how do we do this ? i don't know either but i sure would like to help out. i hate getting blamed, last week an ontario rider died in our area and a comment was made another one of my drunken pals bit the dust. i thought to myself about the commenter you poor soul {he teaches} can we blame all teachers for what the teacher in england is in court for ? no.

now more then ever we sledders must find a way to keep the bad examples of society from our sport.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Why is a 17 yr. old drunk? Maybe his parents should be held a little bit responsible also. I agee Paul, it's nice to see Mr. Anderson isn't blaming all snowmobilers. Just like guns, it's not the sled that kills. Its the selfish, unconcerened individual on the seat. IMO a 17 yr. old knows the difference between right and wrong. If it were my daughter he killed, he and I would BOTH ROT IN JAIL !!!!! If he was lucky enough to live!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I hear you butch,my son misses out on some  riding because my wife is worried him getting hit or killed by a drunk/irresponsible rider that makes me sad because he misses out on something he loves as much as I do.I know he will not be drinking and riding  because I have taught him what not to do while riding.not to mention he knows that is why he cannot go ride so he does not like people whom drink and ride.he is getting short changed by someone elses actions and he does not understand.please people use your head for something other than a helmet rack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my name is Mark Anderson...Ryans father.  I don't know what to say but thanks for the threads you have been writing.  I have been reading them on here and snowest since I have found out about them.  I just want to say thank you for the threads of support they may not seem much to you but are the world to me.  I just want you to know I don't blame sled riders.  I enjoy riding also.  A young man made very bad judgement calls and now he knows the price...so does my family and me.  Thank you for your thought and prayers.  And this is a club I wish noone belonged to.  The Andersons

1 - 18 of 18 Posts