Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's getting colder out everyday so I felt that it was time to leave the good old car and truck forums, and invite myself back to the exciting Snowmobileworld forums and another season of fun. "Welcome back all and sled safe".

That being said, I pulled my sled from the racking in my warehouse to take a look at what needs to be done now and not when it's -30°C. So I opened my cab and just then I remembered what had to be done(I think). Inside my cab from last season, there is this red like powder or dust all around the clutch side of the engine bay.
My first question is, "is this a sign that the clutch needs to be replaced. It's a 96 Fomula STX 583.
Second question; Is it a hard job to do myself or should I bring it to the dealer, I do most of the work myself on the sled.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thanks 2slow2go and the same goes for you. The red dust is rust, you can blow out the clutch with a good compressor or better yet, pull both clutches and give them a good cleaning and inspection for wear. Good hot soapy water and a stiff brush or brake cleaner works real good. This is something that should, must, be done every year for the best performance.
Sounds like the secondary has never been apart? If not, you will have a REAL tough time doing so but it can be done, chances are the 3 pucks are worn out too so plan on that.
You WILL need the proper tools to take both clutches apart so dont try it without them or you could get hurt......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts