Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could help me witj a big problem i had this weekend. I broke my suspension and tore a hole in my heat exchanger.
can anyone tell me if there is anything to patch the exchanger for i do not have the money to spend on a new exchanger.
I fixed the suspension but dont know if i might be able to use maybe J B weld or something else to patch the hole. i also need tunnel gaurds......
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.... :withstupid:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Pull the skid and drive shaft, empty and flush the exchangers and bring to any decent weld shop.
JB weld is a crappy fix and is not reliable (do you want to be as far as possible from home and have it start to leak?)
I welded the tear in the front exchanger on my old ZR, and it lasted another 7,000 miles.
You should be able to get it welded for less than $40-50.00.

The only time I would use JB or epoxy was if I was on a trip and had no other alternative to get some miles in.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Pull the skid and drive shaft, empty and flush the exchangers and bring to any decent weld shop.
JB weld is a crappy fix and is not reliable (do you want to be as far as possible from home and have it start to leak?)
I welded the tear in the front exchanger on my old ZR, and it lasted another 7,000 miles.
You should be able to get it welded for less than $40-50.00.

The only time I would use JB or epoxy was if I was on a trip and had no other alternative to get some miles in.[/b]

+1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem with taking it to be welded is that i think the exchanger is riveted in place. and the spot is abot 2'' x 5''
what do you think drill the rivets out and bring it to a welding shop will work...
Thanks for the help guys i really need it...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The only problem with taking it to be welded is that i think the exchanger is riveted in place. and the spot is abot 2'' x 5''
what do you think drill the rivets out and bring it to a welding shop will work...
Thanks for the help guys i really need it...[/b]

take out the rear suspension/track and driveshaft . then take the whole sled to a good welder . get it tig welded ,not mig, stick or gas welded .tig only. btw this is jmho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts