Snowmobile World banner

Holeshot Skid Plate

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PowderBoy 
#1 ·
Picked up a used/never put on skid plate and came with no hardware. My question is this thing just riveted on with the large head rivets and washers? is it easier to put the machine on it's side to do this job?

#3 ·
Hawk; I've installed two of these on ZR's. There should be two sizes of rivet holes drilled in this plate (4 big holes and about 10 smaller holes) from what I remember. I would only buy larger sized STEEL rivets and drill out the smaller holes(don't even think about aluminun here). Make sure you don't skip putting the rivets across the back edge of the plate into the bulkhead (this is where the skid plate will will save you bacon when that field berry gets between your skis).

#5 ·
Hawk: You don't need the washers where you've drilled into the metal
bulkhead, but they ARE needed in the belly pan. This job is not too hard to
do on a twin, but you definitely need two people to do it. Another tip is to
find a big rivet tool (the kind that looks like bolt cutters). The pliers type
will work, but they are a real B....... when pulling steel rivets.

#6 ·
hello every body, Help, does Holeshot even make a skip plate for arctic cat , can never find one, they dont even have them on there web site or there catalog, if anybody knows for sure please let me know,thanks :(

#11 ·
They usually give you reference points to drill into for your pilot holes. Make sure you are not drilling through anything important. Double check the pilot depth and which way you are going... the other thing it to get the skidplate as tight as you can b4 riveting. On my buddys we linced it up drilled the holes then put a few small screws in to hold it in place while working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.