Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im deciding which to get.  im getting a pipe, silencer, rktek heads, and reeds for my mxz 600, and im wondering whether to get the  holtzman tempaflow, or Dial-a-jet??  will the tempaflow automatically adjust the jetting for all the mods im getting, or should i get the dial-a-jet and that is better??  any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Sledcrazy,
  Don't gt the head. You'll havew nothing but trouble with it. It's not a trail head period. Others have commented on how great they are for the top end but suck down low and mid. They also tend to lean out real bad in the midrange. So blown motors occure frequently with trail sleds. Get a good trail port with timing mods. But clutching will still be where the power is found once you get some more.
Caleb

·
Registered
660 Posts
sledcrazy,

I have been studying all three systems mentioned and they will NOT compensate for mods.

The Hotzman products will give you consistant jetting once YOU set the proper combustion throughout the carb stages.
First set your carbs for ONE ridding temp and relative air density - then the Tempa flow will maintain this a/f ratio for changes in temparature. The Relative air density can be compensated for, using a small adjustment on the unit to essentially lean out your A/F if you wish.
The way it works is it creates a larger vacuum in the float bowl to "hold back" fuel thus leaning out your combustion.This effect is relatively linear with temperature to keep combustion the same throughout large temp changes.

The Vari Flow does the same thing except you adjust the vacuum in the float bowls manualy.

Pros and Cons on these systems

Pro TF - Once you know what carb setting works, you can keep it consistant with the Tempa Flow
Con TF - You have to keep the Tempa flow somewhat conservative or you will run the engine too hard
Pro TF - Holtman sells optional air jet kits so you can alter the fuel curve - this is good if you are having trouble establishing a baseline jetting for your sled.

Pro VF - The Vari Flow is multi adjustable so you can run the engine hotter when needed, and relax it when you choose by richening the mixture (Long lake run?)
Con VF-If you don't have EGT, you will probably burn the engine down because one settings are not consistant with ambiant air temp and relitive air density. (this means that whatever dial position is optimal at -10F is way too lean at -20F so you really need to run with an EGT)

I am not a fan of dail a jet. On this system you leanout all your jets and let the system "fill" the missing fuel flow for you. Some people I know like it, but not me (personal opinion)

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts