Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked the question and couldn't really answer it. When you replace piston rings can you hone out the nikasil cylinder bore. I know back in the early 70's when arctic cat had kawasaki engines the bores were chrome and you couldn't hone them or they would meltdown or other problems would happen when riding. as far as i know you can hone them but i didn't want the guy to found out the hard way lol.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Although some people disagree, the answer is yes!

You will need a special hone for the job. Check with the automotive stores for a "Diamond hone"

Since the nikasil is much harder than conventional iron lined cylinders the cross hatch holds up better and you will not really notice a huge increase in performance but it should be done anyway.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i just was wondering if it could be done. I did it on cars and atv's to help seal piston rings better but i never really believe it made a big difference. I do cross hatching on auto engines. I was kinda curious about the nikasil finish. I thought it was possible but didn't really wanna say that to him lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
Is honing required whenever the cylinders are taken off, just when rings are changed or either of the above? If so, how careful do you have to be in order to keep from scratching through the nikasil?

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can hone nikasil. I've been told the cylinders on my 95 zr are nikasil, they both were honed 1,700 miles ago. I was putting in new pistons and rings.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Unless the cyl. is damaged the cross hatch should still be visible.If it is you don't need to hone,perhaps just use the
deglazer on it. :hallo3:

·
Registered
40 Posts
the cylinders need to be checked for taper, as well as scratches gouges etc, taper should be checked top middle and bottom of clyinders,,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts