Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during the makeover of my 92 mach 1, i decided to fix the hood hinge. The mount for the hinge was snapped off the hood, leaving a good 1"x1" hole in the hood where the hinge mounts. I glued the hinge onto where it was supposto go with some jb weld, and filled in the hole with epoxy, covering it with bondo. After painting and clearcoating the hood i decided to mount it on the sled only to have the hinge break free from the hood. I noticed the other side is glued as well, except that side didnt have the hole in it, and that sides holding up pretty well. Any techniques for fixing it to last? I thought about sheet metal, except there isnt enough meat on the mount to allow it to mount good enough to hold.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You need to add reinforcement to the epoxy like fibreglass sheet or polyester matting. The preparation is very important with any reaction injection molding. You need to vee groove any cracks and roughen up all surfaces with 50 grit sand paper or the JB Weld doesn't grip the injury. Clean all areas with acetone before attempting any gluing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts