Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to repair a hood for my Formula. I bought this hood new 2 years ago then for some reason a tree jumped out in frt of it. It is made from some type of plastic & I know alot of people use fiber glass. That will just crack over time. I have another hood on the sled but it is all beat up. I know if I could find the right stuff to fix it, it might look almost new again. :D

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The hood is made of RIM (reaction injected molding) Urethane. Most body supply houses sell a 2 part repair Structural Adhesive (Pliogrip made by Ashland Chemical) to do the job. The stuff comes in a double syringe that fits in a special caulking gun with 2 plungers. When doing a crack repair, Vee groove the injury then temporaily stabalize the crack using crazy glue or drill holes and wire the void shut. Use some dry wall fiber tape on the back of the repair then glaze it over with the adhesive. The directions say 'Open Time = 10 minutes; Working time = 17 minutes; Sanding time = 1 hour. I find the stuff to be great at permanent repair and the hardest part is the preparation. Make sure the area to be fixed is free of grease, wax or any silicone based chemicals. Take your time and apply small areas one at a time.

Good Luck !!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
JB wled makes a products just for plastic/poly that has 3300 lb holding strength that i always use. it works great but it is grey in color. i push it into the crack, put a bunch on the inside of the hood and clean up any glue that stuck out the crack on the outside and it looks good every time. used it on a half dozen hoods or so.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I will check out the JB weld but sounds like Thumbdoctors way is where I can fix it, paint it & look good as new again.
Thanks again :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts