Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a -98 V-Max 600SX (the one with Ohlins front shocks) and would like to know the hp for this engine. My dealer told me that for this year the model was fitted with a thinner head gasket to gain a few hp, is this true?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Actualy this year was fitted with a "thick" head gasket stock, unless the previos owner changed it thats what will be in there!? If you want the thin head gasket just order the "94" vmax 600 head gasket(or order a after market,thats the same gasket relabled for twice the price). If you realy want to make this sled go, get a clutch kit & gear it down a tooth on the top sprocket, these with the head gasket (run premium fue,91oct or better) & it'll be a differrent machine!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is, I live in sweden and that year there were only 24 600SX's released, all for racing use. Because of that the thinner head gasket was used on these sleds. They also had mph gauges instead of km/h ones. So the question remains, how many hp does this engine have?

But thanx for your answers, will probably gear & clutch my sled. I'm also going to buy a Maxximum Performance long-travel kit for the rear skid - lots of bad trails in sweden...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx toydoc, and by the way, I love your SSR! That is such a beautiful sled!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it was intended for race use have you checked to see what else might be differrent? Might be worth looking into before doing any hop up's, if you find any differrences I would love to hear what they are.
I have run that maximum kit in a sled of mine & have nothing but good things to say, you'll love it. If you're going this far for ride & handaling, skis are a must for this sled.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I thought these sleds had O-rings in the head? My SRX does and I was told that all of the new (97 or later) motors had O-rings. Another thing is you couldn't put a 94 600 gasket in that motor because the 94 600 was a twin and this is a triple. Or maybe I am mistaken?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Woops I was just informed that the 97 600s were twins. My father has a 99 Venture 600 and I assumed this was the same motor as the 97 SX. My bad.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanx to all for the input!
But it doesn't matter anymore, Got a new sled! SXR700 Twin! A custom made -2000 SXR500 with a 700cc twin cyl engine - LOADS of torque!!

Check it out:
http://hem.passagen.se/csm101/sxr700

1 - 10 of 10 Posts