Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many ponies do you store under you're hoods???

I have between 170 & 180 hp under my hood....

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That's my secret.....just joking.  Twin pipes and custom clutching.  Did not buy a clutch kit in a box, had a shop machine the helix, spring, and weights.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You should add to your responses the cost to get those numbers.  That is the true measure.  I am amazed at some of the numbers you guys are posting.  Almost hard to believe, unless you dump a truck load of money into you sled.  160 hp out of a 600 triple!  How reliable are these sleds when they are tuned to the max?
?  With so many people bashing brands on here complaining about the OEM's, it makes me wonder how many of these "manufacture's" problems are actually caused by the manufacturer.  People complain about OEM's not doing enough field testing, it makes me think they are just saving money since so many people mod there sleds anyhow.  I'm just thinking out loud here.  Not meaning to put anyone down.  To each their own.  I personally do not mod my sled, I just buy the biggest I care to ride, and ride it stock.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Point well taken jayjaysin, but hp to some people is a hobby.

It's not always about the ridding for me and my daughter, it's about spending time cranking out as much "reliable" hp you can. Like I said, it's our pastime and hobby.

Don't get me wrong, I love to trail ride as well, but I have 2 other sleds that I take.

But the other side of snowmobiling for us is to have a crowd of people gather around our sleds when we stop at a restaurant and want to see under the hood. I love it, It's like the feeling an artist gets when he/she reveals a new painting.

There are alway a few motorheads in the crown that love to talk shop and it's really and enjoyable experience.

Engines are a hobby - yeah, it costs a few bucks, but then again what hobby doesn't.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I understand where you're coming from madsledhead.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
JayJay, I thought about that when I was placing my post, and hoped nobody would bring up price.....approx $1200.00 divided by 16 hp = $75.00/h.p. ....OUCH!!!  But hey, it's an addiction, and no matter how many times I prove to myself that I can't get that money back out of my sled, I always have to add something(s) to a sled when I buy it. I FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!  

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That was very well said madsledhead.  I think I should have around 120hp out of my zr500 this year but I have no way of testing for sure.  Even if not it will be much better than stock.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I got to doo myself up a drag sled, and get into some real racing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (speed150 @ Aug. 20, 2002, 7:34pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My little 1050 has 260 hp. but can only go 1000 ft at a time. And price, Not cheap.[/b][/quote]
I'm having a "small" complex now thanks!  

Some day.......Some day.....I'll be that big.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts