Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought this would happen, but Houghton Lake, MI is no longer snowmobile friendly!  The DNR showed up at Houghton Lake today and went on a rampage!  They were stopping all snowmobiles, those they thought were racing and even trail riders, for NO REASON other than to HARRASS.  They said the Chamber of Commerce was complaing there was too much going on the north end of the lake.  They were upset that the North Shore drew a larger crowd than their radar runs during Tip Up Town.
The DNR said they would give tickets to ANYONE for the following:
1) Lifting skis
2) Being too loud.  By the way, they said my twin stocker failed the test with a decible meter that they never produced, even after we asked to see it
3) Going to fast.  They were asked at least 4 times how fast but they would not answer.
4) Riding along side another sled if it can be construed that they are racing.  They pulled sleds over that were just cruising the lake side by side, not even going fast.
They wrote alot of tickets and may have taken some guys with them.

Alot went down today but I won't get into all if it.  All I know is that I have been going there for years and spent alot of money in that town, as have countless others just like me.  I will not spend another cent in that town until they show support for snowmobilers!
The North Bay Resort always complains about snowmobilers on the lake being too noisy and tying up the road.  They are on the lake, their road is a lake access, and accross the road is a state park!  That wouldn't be my choice for peace and quiet!  I bet it is real chaos in the summer when the park is open, the road is backed up with countless trucks trying to get their boats in the lake and trailers in the park, and boats are buzzing up and down the shore.  The only weekend they didn't complain was during TUT - that was the weekend they were booked up with snowmobilers!  It is all about money.

·
Registered
394 Posts
man that sounds like complete crap, friggin goverment always gets involved and messes up all the fun for everyone just out to have a good time. Start a petition or something to get the help of all the sledders u can, good luck man  

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Again...this is a bunch of BULL S^*#!  I agree with starting a petition!  Go get em' guys!  Good luck!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
These laws, even though I don't agree with them, are the same elsewhere. We used to have some large inpromptu racing here on Secord Lake. The DNR shut it down also.

I think they just need something to do since there is nowhere else to patroll. I just wish they would take care of the "real" problems that reside in the HL area. Like the drunk sledders.

We learned how to do it. Our group will move lake to lake. One different every other week or so. Lake Ambrose, Wixom, Secord, Clear Lake are just a few that I went to this year. Keeps em guessing!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I dont live anywhere near there but Im in on the petition.Doo the people realize without us sledders there are no jobs in the winter?I wouldnt spend a penny in that town if i was sunk off of the shore,starving,dripping wet.I would walk to the next town rotten bastards they are .Boy hearing things like this makes my blood boil.RRRRRRRRR

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
going to fast ,means all you hot boaters better watch out this summer and not go to fast on the lake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts