Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you clean your seat with ? And what can you put on it to preserve it and protect it from the elements and not make it slippery ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What can you clean your seat with ? And what can you put on it to preserve it and protect it from the elements and not make it slippery ?[/b]

Ive always used leather furniture cleaning products... always have worked for me.... to preserve it tho i have no idea

·
Registered
644 Posts
The seat is vinyl so sun is one of the worst things. Keep it covered in summer; don't ride when it's too cold as the vinyl gets less flexible and prone to crack.

Armour-All seems to work if you must use something. The seat cover will wear out with use. Polaris sells the the covers which are quite easy to replace.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Armour All makes for a pretty slippery seat when you get done with it. When we were kids that was a pretty popular prank to pull on a rookie. I'm not real crazy about what appear to be long term affects using it either. Dashboard vinyl cracking has been blamed on it's use.

I do agree keeping the sun off of it is a must.

Sounds absolutely nuts, but you might try WD-40. It cleans well, seems to sink into the vinyl. Does not leave it slippery OR shiny like you might think it would. It seems to dry overnight, leaving a nice finish on the seat. Don't know if anyone else has tried this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Armour All makes for a pretty slippery seat when you get done with it. When we were kids that was a pretty popular prank to pull on a rookie. I'm not real crazy about what appear to be long term affects using it either. Dashboard vinyl cracking has been blamed on it's use.

I do agree keeping the sun off of it is a must.

Sounds absolutely nuts, but you might try WD-40. It cleans well, seems to sink into the vinyl. Does not leave it slippery OR shiny like you might think it would. It seems to dry overnight, leaving a nice finish on the seat. Don't know if anyone else has tried this?[/b]

Thanks guys ! Definitley won't try the armour all . Even I know better than that! would be funny on a rookie though! Thought about trying Nu-vinyl ? Or a Mothers product ?

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Thanks guys ! Definitley won't try the armour all . Even I know better than that! would be funny on a rookie though! Thought about trying Nu-vinyl ? Or a Mothers product ?[/b]
Funny you mention this. I was giving the sled a good shine yesterday and got carried away with the Armour All, sure looks great, sure is frickin slippery :p

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<sure is frickin slippery >>>

If you'd rather not wait until it wears off, the WD-40 trick works pretty good to remove, or at least helps remove, that slippery effect. Just rub down good with a dry paper towel or rag when you get done. It'll be fine the next day - minus the slippery part.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been using Armour All for ever on my seat. This sled is a 98 and no wear or tear on the seat. Personally I like the seat a little slippery. I shift my weight alot and like to be able to slide form one side to the other instead of sticking. Just a personal preference.

RR

·
Registered
657 Posts
The only time my sled is in the sunlight is when I'm sitting on it, which even then is 50% at night. So, I've never done anything with my seats, but this is the first sled I've kept for a year too, let alone looking into the future. Depending on how this one makes out, I'd probably just buy a new seat cover and if need be, treat that one (or not, if I feel I get my money's worth anyway).

·
Registered
644 Posts
A ridden machine gathers no dust - therefore my Armour-All suggestion. I thought this was meant as a cleaning, storage type question. I wipe the frost off in the morning (taking whatever is frozen into it with it.) If the seat gets bloody from hunting or a bit of spilled gas when filling, a handfull of snow works to clean up. I try to cover the seat, hood, windshield in summer to protect all the plastics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts