Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's assume for a minute that Yamaha has nailed the new era for snowmobiling. Not to tuff for them to accomplish right? They have been making 4 cylinder 4 stroke for decades and obviously have had plenty of time to optimze the powerplant - 5 valves per cylinder, light weight and production of who knows how many engines a year - dare I say - probably serveral times more than all the snowmobile engines combined.
Let's also assume that it won't be hard for Arctic to make it happen with the susuki partnership. Where does this leave the skidoo and polaris 4 strokes. I think one of them better get in bed with Honda and the other with kawasaki and fast. I don't believe there's any way in hell that the money or the production economies will ever be there for skidoo or Polaris to develop an engine comparable to the Japs Motorcycle engines. What do you guys think? Fitch to the rescue? Victory to the rescue???

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well Bombardier owns alot of companies and they make jets for christ's sake so I don't see how they couldn't put together a good 4 stroke engine. Plus they own about every company that is into the direct injection so they should be getting that out on a sled pretty soon and those are supposed to rip and have good emissions just like the 4 srotkers.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Simple.  Rotax or bombarider will just buy out there engineers.  But they dont even need to.  Rotax has been making bike engines for BMW and others and can whip somthing up in no time for a sled.  

Yamaha is always playing catch up with doo and cat and i cant see much changing.  As far as im concerned they took a step back.  4 stroke just arent for me.  

I dont see what all the celebration is about.  For months everyone has told me the mach z sucks at handling because its two heavy and such.  Now heres yamaha with a 4 cylinder and its all of a sudden the best and the mxz and other machines are forgotten.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
bigdaddy,
some good ideas there and yes yamaha has the motorcycle experience same with suzuki so cat will benefit from that. polaris has the victory motorcycle, it is a four stroke and will come in handy as time goes on. ski-doo has been building motorcycle engines for bmw and along with their planes, trains and automobiles they have a huge corporate base.

so i think not one of them is going to fall from the view of the competitions taillights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree Bombardier has deep pockets, but they also need to make money. puting a BMW V twin or V4 in a sled?  When was the last time you saw a BMW motor cycle win any races - especially 1/4 mile ones. I am not rushing out to by a four stroke quite happy with my 2 strokes. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rotax makes excellent engines, unfortunately I think the biggest 4 stroke they make is a 650 single?  They could easily come up with a competetive 4 stroke, it's not like an inline 4 requires a magic spell to create or anything like that - that's the stuff engineers are paid to do!!

The new Yamaha looks pretty cool, but there's always room for improvement.  I know tat it'd have to be pretty darn good to plop down $9000 for the right to own it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think any of the four would have a problem with building a 4 stroke to match what yamaha has built.  The question is will they build one???  I would say that Polaris would have the most work ahead of them as the only 4 stroke they produce right now are low revving V-twins for their Victory motorcycles(I think).  I don't think they would have a problem building one, but they have the least experience to go on.  KEEP THE TWO STROKES!!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I can almost garentee you that Cat, Bombarider and polaris has a highpowered 4 stroke sitting on a work bench or already in the machine.  There not stupid.  I just hope none of them build them.  

2 strokes are still the way to run.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Polaris has Direct Injection 2 strokes in their watercraft. I would think that they would use that technology in their sleds instead of a hi performance 4 stroke. I read somewhere recently that a 2 stroke beat out the 4 strokes for the Clean Sled Challenge this year.

Lee

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well guys, I'm sure I'll start a fury of posts but the yam looks awsome and is going to have more power than there srx. that deserves alot of respect. So much so that I believe I may just go down lay the dwn-pmt for one soon, possibly though I doubt that I plan on getting a mountain viper also for out west,east and up in the deep up back country. It has the suspension, motor, emissions, and the looks. I Doo hope S-Doo comes out with a competitve 4-stroker as promised. Not for me though. Raptor,R-6, And now the RX-1.

There had better be some damn snow someplace next winter though.

Just my 2cw
Caleb

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not sure what just happened there. Anyhow, two stroke guys should be chomping at the bit. Think of the deals that will be out there as everyone rushes to buy the four bangers. I myself will wait a couple of years to let the competition evolve and let the bugs get ironed out. I have to believe that pricing on both new and used two strokes will get agressive in the next couple of years. I do believe we have to thank Yahmee for this "awakening" This is a "concession" that we as the snowmobile community have given to the environmental-cases and it will work out in the long run as technologies will evolve to make sleds better and eventually cheaper. Anybody ready to give away their 02 700mxz?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not sure what just happened there. Anyhow, two stroke guys should be chomping at the bit. Think of the deals that will be out there as everyone rushes to buy the four bangers. I myself will wait a couple of years to let the competition evolve and let the bugs get ironed out. I have to believe that pricing on both new and used two strokes will get agressive in the next couple of years. I do believe we have to thank Yahmee for this "awakening" This is a "concession" that we as the snowmobile community have given to the environmental-cases and it will work out in the long run as technologies will evolve to make sleds better and eventually cheaper. Anybody ready to give away their 02 700mxz?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Machzzz is right, you can bet they have 4 stroke motors on the bench as we speak.  Doo is already on the leading edge for 4 strokes on sea-doos, don't think for a minute that they haven't been doing research for sleds at the same time.

Hey Machzzz have an open mind, 2 strokes are the cat's ### right now, but give it a few years of progression, and we'll all be riding 4 strokes and happy about it.  Thats whats great about technology and research.  Things just keep getting better and better.

FishHog

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wouldn't worry about Ski-Doo.  Rotax (owned by Ski-Doo) I believe makes engines for Aprilia motorcycles.  Aprilia is very competitive in world superbike competition!  Bombardier has also cornered the market on Direct Fuel Injection technology by purchasing OMC and in turn FICHT.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Polaris and Ski-Doo have a bit of an assovciation already inasmuch as Rotax is a subsidiary of Bombardier as is (now) OMC which came with the FICHT injector technology which Polaris is using on their 4 stroke engines. As for Polaris having no association with any Japanese engine makers, wrong. Fuji Heavy Industries, the builder of many Polaris engines, is also associated with the manufacter of Subaru engines. Look under the hood if you doubt that. Just a couple more thoughts.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts